Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

spiralling cable interlock system

saspinall

Hi

Having trouble modelling a part which I require to send away for rapid prototyping. Unfortunately can't send a model or picture of what I want due to IP rights, but basically I'm trying to model a cable interlock portion. There'll be 3 interlocks spiralling down the length of the cable with a 1m pitch length of spiral, the interlock will also have cutout spiralling down it for the cable cores etc, so basically a 120 degree part of a tube with a couple of holes cutout.. Ive tried a method of creating a helical curve using sketch line down a straight datum curve and using the relation angle-dim = trajpar*360 then using the helical curve outer edge of the surface as the trajectory for the path of the section in a variable section sweep but when I put the 3 together in a pattern, patterned at 120, the sort of overlap and never get a true straigh end view, basically because the section is never parallel to the end, its always on a slight angle....Is it the way I set up my variable section sweep, should I be using Normal to trajectory...

Any advice or simple models would be greatly appreciated....

Stu

Basically something like the section shown in the attached pdf. so this would be looking on the end of the interlock, which would then spiral on a helical curve with a pitch of 1m either into the screen or out of the screen.....I get something like what I want to see when I use a VSS along a helical surface derived from a sketch with trajpar in the sketch relations, just doesnt look quite right when put into a patter of 3 of these as 120 degrees, seem to overlap each other...

Attachments

• interlock-END.pdf
    1.6 KB · Views: 24

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back