Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Spliting and moving parts within a model

malkokabani

Hello,

I am in the process of changing parts designed in solidworks to Creo/ProE. I ran into an operation that I've never done in proE. the operation is to split the model using a plane and then moving one of the split part in order to extend the section and reconnect the model again making longer/bigger or smaller/compact. Please refer to the images. Can this be done in ProE as it's done in Solidworks? Is it under a different name operation? Thank you in advance for your help.

part_one.JPGpart_two.JPGpart_three.JPGpart_four.JPGfinal_part.JPG

No need to split the model, you just grab those faces that you want to move and move them :)
You can do it with Offset/Expand feature. or if you have FMX(Flexible modeling extension) its even more robust.
see this video using Offset/Expand:
FlexMove.gif

Last edited:
Solidworm,

Does this method require Creo ?

I have used the extend function in WF5 but not for this level of change.
Good stuff , Thanks

I answered my own question , yes it does work in WF5.0
I did not know you could include other features like holes. While this method works , there are other options that may have better control. But it is good to have another tool in my arsenal. Thanks again for the tip.

canoemike,
Happy that you found it useful. Yeah it works in Wildfire 5 too, can be done on imported parts as well.

solidworm, how did you make that video? It looks really good. I've never seen an instructional video created in animated gif format.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back