Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to import a step or prt file that conforms to company's internal start part?

NC12

Can anyone give me some directions as how to bring in an outside vendor part that will ultimately conforms to internal standards, such as datum nomenclature and layering schemes? This will also apply to assemblies but I thought to start with a part first.

Downloading and opening the vendor part is easy; conforming to internal standards is not. For example, do I first create a new part using internal seed part, then import the vendor part? How?

Forwarding to my work email now. Will save me a lot if time entering in the 7-8 parameters that I have in my custom start file.

Looks like the good doctor Gallup already prescribed the remedy to your quest !

Time for me to get my eyes checked.

Hi,

Check into config.pro setting "intf_in_use_template_models"

intf_in_use_template_models

yes, no

Determines the use of start part and start assembly template files when importing data. Templates are not applied to data that is appended to existing models.

Use template_solidpart and template_designasm configuration options to locate these templates.

yes—Pro/ENGINEER imports the new part or assembly from other file formats into the default start part and start assembly template files.

Good Luck !

Last edited:
Running Creo 2.0 M030 and cannot find the intf_in_use_template_models option to insert into config.pro. See attached image.

template-start.png

Last edited:
one of my students started a job in Wisconson and spent the first 6 weeks adding planes, CSO etc to import geometry they got from their INDIA partner.

create part then use import.

I also suggest with partnering like above to clearly define your expected deliverable.

Bart Brejcha from Designengine

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back