Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Animating a complex epicyclic gearing system -- Animation locks up!

febyphilabr

As part of my college assignment, I have been trying to create a variable ratio gearing device using two epicyclic geartrains, in a CAD software. I have successfully (atleast that is what I believe) assembled all the required parts using the constraints, in Solidworks 2012.

According to the proposed mechanism, a rotary motor supplies rotation to the input sun gear, and using a second motor to drive the output side sun gear (in the same sense/direction), I can vary the overall gearing ratio, and the carrier starts to rotate, thereby rotating the output shaft. However, as soon as the second rotary motor is encountered in the Animation, the assembly locks-up and no further motion is generated by the Animation.

To be more specific, if a clockwise rotation of 10 rpm is given on the input shaft, and then if I add a motor on the hollow shaft so that the output side sun gear speeds up more than the input side sun gear (say 20 rpm), then the carrier should start to rotate in the same direction, but it doesn't. The animation just stops upon encountering the second rotary motor.

I learned Solidworks on a trial and error method, i.e., it was self taught. However I'm still to learn a lot of things, and hence might have messed up the assembly constraints or the Motor properties in the Motion study. I have attached a link to the .zip file containing the assembly file (gearbox.SLDASM), if someone could please check out my work. I used Solidworks 2012 to create the model.

Thank You
Feby

Link: http://goo.gl/5bv7m

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back