Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

UG/NX Linux Install

kwisher

Is it possible to run UG/NX natively on Linux? I know UG use to be a Unix only platform years ago and was wondering if they still provide Unix/Linux support.

TIA

Yes. We have been running NX on Linux for over a year now. We run on Ubuntu Linux, but official support is for Novell SUSE Linux (and I believe RedHat Linux). We have some seats running on Debian as well.

We have about 15 seats of NX. 9 seats are used for CAM (machining), the other 6 are used for design. We program 5/6 axis machining centers, as well as mill/turn machines. We also use NX to program simple 3-axis mills as well as lathes with live tooling. We do everything on Linux, including post-processing the CNC codes and sending/receiving files to the machines.

On the design side, we use NX for modeling, drafting, and assemblies. We moved up from Pro/E, and SolidEdge before that.

We run our entire company on Linux, including electronic design, ERP/accounting, etc. So NX is just a nice piece of a software solution that has enabled our company to remain successful, agile, and outcompete our competition matter what part of the world they design and manufacture in.

Sincerely,

David Amormino
Micro-Vu

David,

Thanks for the detailed response. Sounds like your company has the same needs as the company I work for.

So how does one go about getting a CD with the correct version of UG for Linux? Do you run the Windows version in a virtual machine?

Sincerely,

Kevin Wisher
Hewitt Molding Co.

If you have a license, I believe it will work on Windows and Linux. You might have to contact Siemens/UGS for a CD, but you can download it from the GTAC website at support.ugs.com.
  1. Log in to support.ugs.com.
  2. Select Download & Upload.
  3. Under Full Product Releases, select All UGS Products.
I can't finish these instructions because I am not logged in to GTAC from a registered IP address. But you can PM (private message) me and I can see if I can do this when I am back at the office. Your CSR (customer service rep.) should be able to help with downloading and/or obtaining a CD or DVD.

You can also download your license from the GTAC site. Instead of selecting Download & Upload, select Licenses and Password. If you have a valid license file for Flex license server, you shouldn't need a license, but if you move your licenses server to a different machine, you might--I don't know.

If you have NX running on Windows, I would recommend getting the client running on Linux first and leaving the license server on Windows while you are doing that. Similarly, if you have both you clients and license server on Windows, you can move your license server to Linux, while leaving your clients on Windows until you are sure it works. UG can help when you decided to make that change permanent. For somethings you can get a temporary or permanent license file from the website noted above. Other times you might need to contact Siemens-UGS.

-David

David,

I have finally been able to download the Linux files. I noticed in the readme files that Novell Linux 64-bit OS is required. You mentioned you were running Ubuntu. Is 64-bit Ubuntu required or will it run on 32-bit machines also? We have a mixture of 32-bit & 64-bit machines.

Thanks,

Kevin

Ubuntu 64-bit is required. Use Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon). Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) will not work right now.

I will post an in-depth explanation shortly.

We run NX on Ubuntu 64-bit. NX will not run on 32-bit Ubuntu (nor will
it run on 32-bit Novell SUSE Linux). Siemens (UGS) only supports 64-bit
Linux. It may be possible to get NX to run on 32-bit Linux without
Siemen's support, but it would most likely be extremely difficult if not
impossible. We run both 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu on our network, but
all systems running NX are 64-bit, because they have to be.

We run NX on 7.10 (aka "Gutsy Gibbon"). NX will not run on Ubuntu 8.04
(aka "Hardy Heron") because of an incompatibility with Xorg.
Specifically NX 5 will not run on the newer Xorg 1.4 cores that are in
Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy). Most likely, NX 6 will not run on Ubuntu 8.04
either, but we have not tested it yet.

Select all available features when installing NX. There is a bug if you try to select just certain features, it breaks the installer.

Install ksh (Korn Shell) before installing. You can use Synaptic Package Manager or "sudo apt-get install ksh". The NX install script for Linux uses the older Korn Shell, which most Linux's do not install by default.

After install, UGmenu10 and Ugnx5 X11 settings need to be moved to X's defaults directory. This is usually under <i ="moz-txt-slash">/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/[/i]. This just specifies colors and default fonts.

The updates (not the NX DVD) have a bad sed line. I can post more information on installing the updates as necessary.

Thanks to our IT Department for providing these details for installing NX on Ubuntu.

Can anyone provide any info on benchmark/speed difference between UG/Linux versus UG/Vista? I need some solid info to provide a reason to switch to Linux here where I work. The owner is being influenced by our IT guy who is totally against anything that is not M$.

TIA

I do not have any speed comparisons for NX on Linux versus Vista.

We did extensive testing for Pro/E on Linux versus Windows XP using some widely accepted tests for Pro/E. There was little difference between Pro/E Linux and Windows XP.

Our reasons for moving to Linux were based on achieving overall company performance and efficiency. Using an open methodology allowed the freedom to let data move where it needed to, without any reduction in speed, and without penalties of time and money. It keeps our company and our IT department very lean and agile. It allows our open ERP system to communicate with our open produce design system, open manufacturing system, etc.

Prior to moving to an open system, we used a Microsoft-centric model where most applications and operation systems were provided by Microsoft, or required Microsoft or other proprietary technologies to interoperate. Things always seemed to move much slower than they were expected to move.

We looked at the Internet, at the same, noticing that it was growing fast, becoming extremely useful, and allowing the flow of data, at a rate that was orders of magnitude more than our Microsoft-centric approach. The Internet model had decisively eclipsed the Microsoft/Windows model by just about every measure of performance. It did so while dramatically reducing the cost per deliverable.

The difference between the Internet (open) and Microsoft (closed) approach really compelled us to switch. And we've realized many of the same type of gains as the Internet--the most successful and ubiquitous network in the world.

Hence the computer benchmarks meant very little to us in the end.

Dear Damormino,

I am quit interested to know whether you used teamcenter engineering in your too.

If yes, is it possible to use postgresql databankinstead of oracle?

another question,which office package do you use instead of microsoft office, because Unigraphics uses excell for the parametric modelling on the part catalog.

Ist it possible to use open office?

Thank you.

best regards

We are not using Teamcenter, so I can not answer the question about database support.

We use OpenOffice and Gnumeric for spreadsheets, but I am not sure about the answer to the question you ask. We do not use Excel. We are working with NX 6, where we can do explicit model editing, so our workflow is in a state of change. I hope to provide answers soon.

Hi
I tried to install NX6 on SUSE10sp2, but I have the problem with the license server, when I try to start NX by: ksh

HI Guys
could somebody help me to install NX6 on ubuntu 10.10 x64?
We are using Catia and Pro/E in my company. I want to replace all windows workstations with Ubuntu. I get to know that siemens started support linux and I borrow a license from local reseller. But he dont know too, how to install NX on Linux. I tried to install by $ sudo sh ug_install but get a vey long list of errors but no installation success. Would anybody help????

kwisher said:
Is it possible to run UG/NX natively on Linux? I know UG use to be a Unix only platform years ago and was wondering if they still provide Unix/Linux support.TIA
I just started using NX6 and found the http://www.nxtutorials.com website to have many? interesting articles, tutorials, and models. I hope you find it helpful also!

Hi

I would like to know your opinion about if NX is really faster or more stable in Linux than in Windows.

regards

Hello,

I have the following error trying to install NX 11.0.0 from cd on ubuntu 17.04:

sudo ./SPLMLicenseServer_v8.2.0_linux_setup.bin
[sudo] password for andreltr:
Preparing to install
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

An internal LaunchAnywhere application error has occured and this application cannot proceed. (LAX)

Stack Trace:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.
at java.util.Properties.loadConvert(Properties.java:568)
at java.util.Properties.load0(Properties.java:391)
at java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:317)
at com.zerog.common.java.util.PropertiesUtil.loadProperties(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(Unknown Source)

Any suggestions on how to solve it?

TIA,

Andre Luiz T. Ramos, Ph.D.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back