Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

5-axis milling

Robber

Hello

Does anyone out there know of any information on 5-axis milling?

I have went through all of the cast and documentaion that is inside of Nx.

It is pretty vauge they give you basically page one and I would like to know pages 2-100.

Right now I am using Nx5 but have access to any version.

Thank you

Robber

Robber

I have been using NX for several years doing simultaneous 5-axis milling. What is it you are trying to find? If you are looking for documentation within CAST or what is provided to tell you how to do 5-axis milling, you can forget it. In my opinion this is one of the voids within the documentation.

Larry

Larry,

Iam looking for something that goesinto5-axis with a lot more detail. It has always been the same it seems as far as documentation in Unigraphics. They seem to only cover the bare basics. You ask them about it and they claim that everybody uses it with no problem. The company I used to work for puchased another cam software because of this and I tell you whatit blew Ug out of the water and we only did 3-axis machining at the time.

One of my main questions to start would be is there any kind of roughing template for 5-axis or is it basically something on the lines of 2+3 then only finishing with 5-axis?

I have lots of questions but maybe time will tell the answers.

As far as your question John I have Ugs muti axis manual and tequnics manual but to me it does not go deep enough.Sequential milling to me seems like alot of work. I build plastic injection molds and it sure seems like it would take forever and a day to program this way.

Thanks for your time

Robber

thank you

Robber,

Sorry Guy, but to my knowledge there is no such thing as a roughing template for 5-axis milling. I understand what you are saying about the "other program" your last company used but there are several factors you have to consider other than the "seemingly ease" that it had. One of the reasons that makes UG so popular among the companies that use it is the control that it gives you over the machining process. For instance, I have another program that I have used at times (that had the seemingly ease" of 5-axis machiningbut one thing it did was drag the tool bit when backing off of the part.

Once you setup your templates, it will be much easier. There are a couple more optons for you.
<UL>
<LI>You can get your sales rep to look within the UG infrastructure and see if he can find someone to help you. They do have a group within the company that is dedicated to help with such matters.</LI>
<LI>You can contact someone within GTAC and ask for their help. It has been my experience that they will go out of their way to help you with your solution/problem. I can give you a contact name but you will have to email me for his name.</LI>
<LI>You can contact one of the UG partners that are setup specifically to assist someone such as yourself. Again, I can give you the names of a couple but not in a open forum.</LI>[/list]

One thing that I wishI had done early in my UG life was to have someone come in and sit with me until your template is setup like you want it. Yes it will cost you but it will more than pay for itself.

Good Luck,

Larry

In NX5 the 5 axis Z-Level operation is new and would be good for roughing out.

Variable Contour and Contour Profile are designed for 5-axis work.

For Mold work you could start out with a cavity mil operation to rough out the material and then use 5-axis z-level to get close to size. To finish use variable contour. Without seeing the actual part it would be difficult to say which drive method would be the best. I use surface area the most for 5-axis motion. Make sure the projection vector is toward - drive.

Hello,

This is kishore ,I was using NX5 maunufacturing for 3axis machineing

Iwas intended to learn 5axis post building as well as programming . can any

one help me by sending material
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

Regards

KISHORE

Robber,

Is your company adverse to having someone come in and help you with your situation? One thing that you will find out as you go along, the more you use this particular program, the more sense it will make. I had someone develop a couple of tool paths for me and while I didn't use his exact tool paths, itshowed me come options I had not discovered previously. From that, I was able to come to terms with my programming and what i needed to do.

Larry

Hello

Does anyone out there know of any information on 5-
axis milling?

I haven't the cast and documentaion that is inside of
Nx.
Thanks for your time

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back