Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Process drawings

AThorud

We are currently switching from Pro/E to Solidworks and we use Pro/Process for our assembly drawings. How would I do similar drawings using SolidWorks? I have tried using configuration manager, but would there be a better way of doing a process type drawing. Current issue using Configuration Manager is controlling the BOM on the drawings.

I don't know ProE so I am not sure what you wish to achieve.
Try that:
Suppress all features down to a certain one. Then Un-Suppress that features, one by one, in order to obtain drawings process by process.

Again, I am not sure that is an answer for you or if it is the best way. But it is a way.

Good luck !

Thank you for the input. What I am trying to acomplish is during each step in the process of assembly, only the current parts being assembled are shown in the BOM. So therefore, as each step (page in the assembly drawing) is completed, the next step would only have those parts in the bom, and not show the rest of the already assembled parts. Hope that clears things up more.

Andrew,

I have been doing assembly drawings in SW for some time now, here is my method.

My sub-assemblies are put together first, much like a normal assembly process.

Then I complete the top level assembly.

In a multi-sheet drawing I create exploded view drawings with balloons and the assembly notes for each sub-assembly. This means that only the parts and their detail will be in each BOM on each sheet for each step of the assembly procedure.

At the top level which may or may not be exploded only the sub-assemblies appear in the BOM. There is a setting in SW to show just the upper assemblies.

Let us know if this will work for you.
Bernie

After working with Solidworks/Alignes, I have a solution that meets my needs for creating a process assembly drawing. You dont have to but it greatly helped me by grouping all the parts/hardware into a common folder prior to doing this. I start out by creating configurations of the top level assembly and naming them step 1 thru whatever. For each configuration, I highlight the needed parts in that step, right click mouse, and unclick "Exclude from Bill of materials". All other parts should be excluded. Each configuration can have its own exploded views. In drawing, its just a matter of importing the model configuration,adding the bom, and using top level. Is pretty straight forward, but is mostly done in the model. Hope this helps everyone trying the same.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back