Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Trouble with Surface Thickening

jdw5076

I am relatively new to the surfacing controls in SolidWorks. I am working on a Barge Board for a 1:5 Scale Formula 1 RC car that I am building. I scanned a 1:24 model of the car with a Digitizer and collected a whole bunch of data points. I then go in and essentially draw grid lines and either do a loft or a surface loft/boundary surface then thicken.

However, with this particular part, I created 3 Boundary Surfaces. I then go to thicken them with the Boss/Base Thicken button. I can thicken 2 of the 3 surfaces but with Boundary-Surface2, it Thickens and creates a raised point that is not there in the Sketches.

I was hoping someone could take a look at it and show me what to do or just do it for me. Like I said, I am very new to surfacing in SolidWorks and do not want to spend hours and hours on this which is probably something simple to fix. I attached the file (its in SolidWorks 2010) for you to take a look at. Thanks.2010-08-04_072846_Barge_Board.zip

Hey,

You cannot save files in SolidWorks as an older format. However, I saved it as 3 different formats [Parasolid(.x_t), Parasolid Binary(.x_b), IGES(.igs)]. You can then open it in SolidWorks 2009 and then use the Feature Recognition Module and it should rebuild the Feature Tree. I hope this works.2010-08-05_072821_Barge_Board.zip

JD,

Can you provide us a screenshot of what geometry you are getting? The import worked for me, but the feature recognition did not. So now I have 3 surface bodies. I have colored them in the order in which they appear in the feature tree: red, green, blue. Which one is giving you trouble?

View attachment 5850

As an avid F1 fan, may I ask you which car you are modeling and how do you plan to fabricate the body? I'd love to help in any way I can.

Jim

http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

I colored the barge board the same as in yours JimShaw. Its the green section that is giving me the problem. When I select thicken, it shows me the preview of it and it creates a weird have circle. It wont even let me click the Green Check, it says Rebuild Error. Here's the screenshot.

2010-08-05_122946_Barge_Board_Screenshot.zip

I am modeling Michael Schumachers last Ferrari car, the Ferrari 248. I have access to a Dimension Elite 3D Printer so I will be making the body from ABS Plastic and also have access to a machine shop.

Jim

Thanks alot for your help. That delete face did the trick. I know I have alot of problems with that. Like I said, I am really new to surfacing in SolidWorks. I did what I could with the Data Points that I collected from Digitizing the model I had. Im sure I am going to run into more problems like that with more of the body. I am going to Print the Barge Board tonight to see how it comes out. I will post a pic to show you and you can also follow my progress on my MySpace account:

http://www.myspace.com/527520874

Thanks again Jim. I can email you the data points for the Barge Board if you wanted to give it a shot yourself. Let me know.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back