Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What memory is this referring to???

willie1280

Ok, so i am still waiting for feedback fro you guys on building a new unit, but i am trying to understand where my current unit is really lacking.

When i open the file in 2009 that is causing my problem, its telling me SW is unable to retain the required memory and i need to free some up or it will terminate.

So when i open task manager, processes, it says solidworks.exe--my name--CPU 50 (while its opening the file) 1,500,000K memory usuage and then down on the bottom it says CPU usage 100% (when opening file). The actual solidworks assembly file is 135MB. I have all the parts on lightweight, OPen GL turned on, resolution turned all the way down. As i start unhiding parts, thats when it gives me the error, usually when it gets to around 1,600,000K of memory usuage.

So am i maxing out CPU, RAM, or video?

My specs are:

XP Home
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
4GB Ram (3.3GB actual)
GeForce 8600GT 512mb

So whats your ideas????

I found the area where i can allot different amounts in the Virtual memory. I can do Custom Size and select different values for Initial size and Maximum Size. however, I cannot find any details on what i should actually switch this to.

please advise.

below I show an example howto editthe boot.ini file for WIN XP 32bit to obtain 3GB RAM control:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff /usepmtimer
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional/3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /noexecute=alwaysoff /usepmtimer

Next allow larger page file for the virtual memory. At least 4GB.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back