Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

enhancement requests updated

design-engine

I spent some time making this list (some from this forum)

1 enhance top down design (I could make a page here alone)
a. snap to a coordinate system b. allow for a publishing of geometry . . .
2 let use of 3d curve for curve projections onto a surface
3 not group curves and reorder them into a surface. (I don't think there is a need for this)
4 let one boundary of a surface (boundary surface or rail) select across a tangency edge of another surface trim.
5 I wish I could modify a variable to a negative number. Absolute Value was explained to me when I was 4 years old.
automatic dimensioning. Especially an intent manager that can learn a
little. Maybe it can remember how I dimension things because I am very
picky on how I dimension for plastic parts or for proving form for ID
7 marker menus like Alias Studio. Fully customizable.
8 drag sketch outside as a feature (not just in an unconstrained sketch)
CAD data translation more better than ever before... plus I want more
power to tear stuff up inside iges and step data and to also be able to
rebuild inside there.
10 Convenient way of closing a sketcher mode than clicking on the icon.
the double regen when you have equations is most frustrating.
Especially since almost always prove form by exercise my underlying
curve geometry. SW will not let you drag curves if they have dimension
on em. Nor will it let you drag curves outside of the sketch.
12 Formula editor/manager with conditional selection of parameters.

Area: User-interface>message/errors
Problem: Render to file dialog
Solution Ideas: "Please make it possible to disable the "render to file completed" dialog.

Area: Photoworks>materials
Problem: Studio plastic
Solution
Ideas: Please fix the studio plastic material to work correcly with
indirect illumination. Right now, the shadows are not correct and the
material is not transparent. This makes it impossible to make a render
with indirect illumination and a transparent floor which displays only
the shadows.

Area: Graphic>edges
Problem: Display tangent edges as font
Solution:
Please make the tangent edges customizamble. Right now the only options
are visible, phantom or removed. I'd like to be able to use any font.

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=7473

Edited by: design-engine

2. let use of 3d curve for curve projections onto a surface
I agree with you on point 2. The work around for those who don't know is to
create a 3D Sketch and use Convert Entities. This will give you a sketch curve
and get you out of not being able to project the curve.

5 I wish I could modify a variable to a negative number. Absolute Value was explained to me when I was 4 years old.

I know you want to be able to have the ability to flip side of reference with a negative number. If you are not set on it being negative and want to switch sides for something like a sketch you can make the dim read only and drag it to the other side without having to delete it.

6 automatic dimensioning. Especially an intent manager that can learn a little. Maybe it can remember how I dimension things because I am very picky on how I dimension for plastic parts or for proving form for ID

Solid Works has something called Fully Constrain Sketch the icon looks like the sketch icon but the lines are black like constrained entities in Solid works are. This tool allows you to automatically Dimension and Constrain Sketches, however instead of doing it as you sketch and dimension and constrain things that you might delete later it allows you to use it when ever you want or when you're finished with your sketch. This tool allows you to select what constraints to add and you can choose to just set relations or just dimensions and you chose whether you want Baseline or Chain dims as the default type and you select what reference you want to use in the Horizontal and Vertical direction.

8 drag sketch outside as a feature (not just in an unconstrained sketch)
I'd like to submit an enhancement request to keep the sketch in the tree and group it as well similar to how Pro/E does it, or to show a sketch folder similar to the others at the top of the tree that would show all the sketches so they can be easily found..

10 Convenient way of closing a sketcher mode than clicking on the icon.
Double click on the Solid Works background and you instantly exit sketch mode. This works great and is pretty easy to use if you know about it. Another way to exit is to do a Regen CTRL+B.

You can also do the same to edit sketches just double click any displayed sketch entity and voila your in edit sketch.

It's a Chilly Saturday for Boston 31 or so F deg. Still got to shoot some hoops with the help of a few Sweatshirts. Now it's time to kick back and enjoy some beers.
smiley4.gif

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back