Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

New Laptop Design

LP10

I have been a avid apple fan for some time now, over periods of
years we have seen the apple brand and product develop into
something special.
One night over a few drinks me and couple of friends decided to
build and design our own laptop, we love some feedback on what
spec we should go for, we more or less decided for the most
powerful spec we could fit into our prototype machine.

Well if anybody out there would like to help we would love any
feedback with any comments ...
smiley1.gif
smiley4.gif

so glad you thinking of this

Hey, I am a design consultant. Thats to say i work with the physics of the design more than hands on. I have been thinking of a laptop concept for a while. Even though its not new I think with the increase in specs of GPU's in today's age, it could be quiet applicable..
Its all got to do with the cooling. So for this the laptop chassis is made out of high thermal conducting metal, such as aluminum. This chassis is connected to the GPU or CPU or both (with electric insulation of course). This increases the ceiling for Tdp of the gpu/cpu that can be put and specially with the 22nm chips these days, that is a lot of power.

DO discuss this with your friends over a beer. I have some concept designs, but its all on paper. Hope it helps

Cheers
Arun

Do the Dell Precision all the way not ifs and or butts! I also just did a class at Dell but that is not why I suggest you use those Dell precision machines. They are awesome and you can often get good deals on them through the dell referb portion of their website.

I'm not convinced by the Dell machines. Performance wise they are good, but as piece of mechanical engineering, I'm not convinced. I know a few people who use them and find things like the sharp corner where the sheetmetal case folds up at the front digs into their wrists.

Dell-bashing aside, I'd be interested in exploring ideas to increase the screen size, have you looked at ideas like this: Double Your Fun: 3 Dual-Screen Laptops Extend Workspaces | Gadgets, Science & Technology ?

You probably will also need something a bit better than a normal mouse to go with your fancy new machine. Perhaps something like this...

Project Alpha Wing

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Project-Alpha-Wing/133434706807769

Sam

Attachments

• wpaca49571_05_06.jpg
    wpaca49571_05_06.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 4
Jacek,

It is designed to replace the mouse, rather than be used in conjunction with it. This then means you can use your non-mouse hand on the keyboard for inputting dimensions or mapkeys.

Sam

-------------------
Project Alpha Wing

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back