Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Info inside a feature?

tobbo

Is there any way to include info in a feature? Like in Excel you can "insert comment" on a cell, so that when you hoower over the cell you get a pop up window with some info.

I would like to have the same functionallity in features, so that when the person that will modify my model can hoower overa feature , they get info like "this extrude cuts material from, use it to modify..... " and so on.

As far as i know , exactly this cant be done, but i do want to know if there is a way to include info i features

I dont want to create feature parameters with the info, and i dont want to use annotationsfeatures as notes to show the info....

Any tip?

//Tobias

The closest thing is to name the feature. I was going to
suggest feature parameters, but you already thought of
that.

Another way to communicate is by using marker features. I
use a datum point at the intersection of the 3 default
planes, I name it '__[name _of_features]_start' and then another at the end of those features with _end in the name.
I then hide those points and save the layer status so they
stay hidden. Between the double underscore and the hidden status, it creates an easily visible divider between groups
of like features.

Thanks rebo2610 and Doug!

Using datumpoints at the default datums is a good one! I use Annotationfeatures and make them non graphical to get the same reault (I name them like you name your points) I do would like to have something that contain a little more info than just a short description or name.

More ideas?

//Tobias

I use a first feature note as a reminder mostly to myself if I need to remember something in particular.

I also use non-graphical notes to indicate group start and group end:
Looks like this in the model tree:

GROUP_NAME
_GROUP_NAME
feature1
feature2
feature3
__GROUP_NAME

It helps to see where the groups start and end after having ungrouped them and make regrouping and naming easier.
Also, I advise -against- using datum or modelled features for notes, because they can/will be visible dependent on the layer status and might be a hindrance when selecting in the model window. Also there's a risk of unwantingly selecting the note's feature, which should never be used as a reference. I also think non-graphical note features might to be faster when regenerating than actual datum or modelled features.

same habbits as discussed above - major note at front, plus extra points to divide structure of the tree

summary - I missed info Tobo, if desired by you funcionality exists

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back