Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

use parameter instead of dimension

wildfirebrigade

Dear fellow CREO users,

I would like to use a parameter name to limit the length of a cylinder assembly mechanism instead of filling in a dimension. So far, everytime I fill in the parameter name ("sl*g"), it automatically converts to the actual value ("400") and will not update when I change the value in my list of parameters.
See image.

View attachment 5780

Any suggestions?

try filling in &(parameter name)

the & tells the software to read the value of the parameter

&(parameter name) gives the same result, the parameter
changes into the actual dimension (and wont change
automatically).
Any other suggesions how to resolve this?

Highlight the dimension to learn it's ID (eg D32:1), and create a relation making that dimension equal to the parameter

I know I'm digging up an old topic, but did you ever find a solution to this issue?

I am trying to limit the angular motion in Mechanism between two parts (basically chain links). I created the parameters "MAXRAD" AND "MINRAD". Then, I can type in those words into either my Minimum Limit or Maximum Limit boxes, and it will update to the value on my parameters list. ONCE. If I alter the parameter however (ie, from -20 and +20 respectively to -5 and +5) it doesn't update my rotation limits.

I tried the &MAXRAD and &(MAXRAD) formats as suggested by tgsp earlier, however it seems to see either as a undefined parameter and goes back to the last input value.

Additionally, if I hit the switch symbols icon, it doesn't graphically display the value idXXX as it would in sketcher mode.

Any ideas? The value for me is that I want to have 20+ chain links that I can adjust the angle in one place, so I'm not manually fiddling with every single joint when I want to update this stuff.

Thanks for your help in advance. I'm pretty stumped at the moment, but will certainly update this post if I find a solution.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back