Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembly with Missing Parts

MoscaCAD

Hello, new to the forum.

I am using Wildfire 5 and have been a Pro E user for about 6 years. I just started a new position that only has one seat of Pro and all parts are stored completely on the hard drive. I am used to a multi seat set up with a server.

When I started this new position, I started on an old computer and had to suffer through 3 weeks of slow graphics and crashes. Finally now I have my new computer and am setting everything up. I have an assembly that after moving all the parts from the old hard drive to the new one is having problems locating parts. I open the assembly and right click on the part to locate it's new location and slowely the assembly is complete again. Then I save. Done for the day I shut everything down for the night and when I open the assembly in the morning...I have to redefine all the part locations again. How can I prevent this happening everytime I close/open the assembly?

I'm not clear. Pro/E can't locate the file on disk or can't locate the part in the assembly?

Assuming it's the former, Pro/E does not store file locations. It is best if you store everything for one project, drawings, assemblies & parts, all in the same directory. Obviously for some parts like common fasteners that is not practical. For Pro/E to find parts that are not in the working directory or in the same directory as the parent object, you need to set up search paths. For a simple directory structure you can put several search_path options in your system config.pro. For more complicated setups you may want to create a config.pro for each project with custom search paths for the project as well as other settings like templates, etc. Our procedure is to switch to the project directory as soon as Pro/E starts & then load the config.pro in that directory. That way Pro/E always finds it's parts and has all the settings needed for that particular project.

If you do a file Save As Backup. Pro/E will allow you to save
all Parts Assemblies and References into a new directory
with Filenames.

You can define a search.pro Config file with search paths
called out on separate lines. Normally Pro/E will look in
current and Sublevel drives and at any currently in
session parts then will go to search paths to find the files.

Michael

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back