Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo2 vs WF4

dross

We just installed Creo 2 and find a huge difference in speed between it and WF4.
In the manufacturing, running "Play Path" for a sequence of trajectory milling, it takes 1000-2000% longer to regen the tool path in Creo than WF4 on the exact same model and sequence. One thing I've noticed is that as it is preparing for the play path, in the message line it states that it is creating an automatic retract. I checked the definition of the sequence and the retract has been defined. Since I'm not up on the manufacturing portion (I'm a design engineer), I don't know if it is properly defined or not.

Has anyone else experienced this type of slowdown and if so were you able to alleviate it with config settings or hardware changes?

The machine in question has two 3.0 Ghz Xeon processors, duo core, I think.
2 Gb Ram
Quadro FX3400
Running on XP 32 bit

I suspect a graphics card/driver issue. I don't see the FX3400 in the Dell or HP supported card list. Here is what PTC says about requirements (is yours OpenGL 3.1?):

Graphics Information
For 3D-hardware acceleration, an OpenGL graphics card must be used that has been tested in a PTC-certified configuration. To ensure the compatibility of a graphics driver with Creo 2.0, a PTC certified or supported hardware configuration is recommended. Graphics cards that support at least OpenGL 3.1 are recommended for Creo 2.0.
PTC recognizes that customers can benefit from using latest graphics driver and performance optimizations and improvements made by PTC

Ran the same program on my computer which is much faster than the one indicated above.
There is still a huge difference in regen time in Creo vs WF4.
They've turned Pro into a bloated pig!

Looks like we are going to have to go back to WF4, the performance hit with Creo is just too large.
I won't miss it, there are a lot of parts of Creo that take more time to do things than with WF. Productivity is way off.

PTC, get your shiite together! Quit trying to "improve" the product and actually improve it. Every version makes it more difficult to do things that were already difficult enough to do. Mouse clicks have went WAY up!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back