Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembly cutout - WF4

dr_gallup

I have a part which has a number of other parts cutout of it created in assembly mode. I want to redefine one of these cutout features to reference a different part. I have activated the part with the cutout feature in the assembly and picked redefine. However, when I try to pick a new part I get an error message Invalid selection; try again. I get the same message no matter which part I pick. Am I missing something or do I just have to delete and recreate this feature?

Looks like it doesnt work.

Was this posssible in earlier releases?
I have only done this on family table parts before and that seems still to work.

Try an alternative method:
Make a sold part in the assembly (cutter part) and use a component operation to cut, this is robust and easily changed at will.

Or try to diagnose the issue:
Just as a quick check as to why you have the problem... deactivate the current placement constraint set and then apply a new set with the fix option. Once this is done drag it to the bottom of the tree and see if it works now. If this works it is an obscure parent child relationship. Might try placing a c-sys and referencing the main c-sys of the asm instead of the fix option if it will not let you drag to the bottom of the tree. You may have to delete the original constraint set, never know what bugs are lurking in your release.

Check the assembly cut with the global reference viewer to see how it is linked into the rest of the assembly.

Chris

cpoirier said:
Try an alternative method:
Make a sold part in the assembly (cutter part) and use a component operation to cut, this is robust and easily changed at will.

That's exactly what I did but Pro/E won't let me change the the part that is cut out.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back