Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

best way to model this hydro formed part

denncoa

Hello,

I've attached a picture of some stamped sheet metal wing ribs. My question is, what is the best way to model these so that I can have a flat pattern to give my supplier and of course the fully formed part for the drawing?

I've been messing around with die and punch formed parts in sheet metal but am running into issues when I add reliefs and cuts to the formed part.

Can anyone help me out please? Thank you!

DennyView attachment 5718

Personally, I'd model the finished part and tell the
supplier they are responsible for the flat based on their
process. Unless you want to be responsible that the final
part will come out right, I wouldn't give them a flat.

Thanks Doug,

That's what we've done in the past. Since stamping (or hydro forming) parts isn't a new concept I was just thinking that there would be a relatively simple way of accomplishing this in Pro E.

Please, anyone with a suggestion, let me know what you think. Thank you!

Denny

i doubt if its a good idea to get the flat state of
a stamped or hydro formed part in a cad program. because i
think the mechanics are different than sheet metal bending
operations. you don't have a neutral line in stamping
unlike sheetmetal. just my 2 cents. this needs a capable
FEA software. correct me if i'm wrong.
Edited by: solidworm

I second solidworm's advise.

My rule is communicate only whats required.

When I outsource tools no flat states are supplied.

Only internal resources get flat states.

There's a lots of "black magic " the tool designer and maker will use to make the part to your drawing.

This "black magic " is not easy to model in 3d .

Save yourself the work and liability.

"less is more"

MC

I second solidworm's and Doug's advise.

I will try to read the whole thread in the futurejavascript:AddSmileyIcon('
smiley5.gif
')

You would have to define some deformable areas. breaking a surface into pieces to allow the flat to be calculated, I think this can be done if you have mechanica, where and what shape to make the areas will be not trivial and honestly you may be asking for something that is not going to result in success if you use Pro. I am willing to bet there is some 3rd party software packages for this, you may be able to import the part and try and make some estimations. My intuition is that your going to bang the sheet with some large dies and it will get thin in some places. Might be fun to draw some grid lines on the flat sheet and form a part, then look at where it got thin and where the grid shifted to. My boss would bitch about this type of time waste and tell me to let the vender handle it.

Chris

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back