Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Opening CATIA Assembly in Creo

boydt

Our customer is supplying us with native CATIA files, We use Pro/E WF3.... We have 1 seat of Creo that we are planning to open the .CATProduct files in and the save as STEP files for everyone to use in WF3..... Anyway, the problem is the uppercase letters in the files are a no-go for Pro/E..... This assembly has several hundred parts in it.... Is there a simple way to correct the file names using a utlity or something instaed of renaming each file one at a time. Some even have spaces in the file name.

Thanks

Before you can read-in the CATIA file, you will REQUIRE a translator license from PTC. The product is called "Creo Interface for CATIA V5".

We have it and it works fairly well. The translations are pretty quick and "most of the time" they come in as a solid. We have tried a variety of translators to get CATIA files into Pro/E, but this seems to work the best. We also have one seat of SolidWorks that we used to use to translate CATIA files to STEP for import into Pro/E, but this works better and faster.

Bob Schwerdlin
Design Engineer
Dukane Corp.

We have that seat and it does work when I open CATpart files after fixing the way they are named. When openeing the CATproduct file is where I get the issues because the associated files to that are titled wrong for Pro/E

CATproduct files are assembly files. There should also be an associated CATpart file that contains the assembly. That's what we always use and it works for us. I can't speak any further regarding the CATproduct file. I just don't know enough about CATIA file structure. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

Bob Schwerdlin
Design Engineer
Dukane Corp.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back