Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Intent manager

I've always found that sketching works best when I exaggerate or distort my sketches first, then apply the dims and constraints I want. Get the right type of entities in but put them out of the way so Creo doesn't assume too much that'll be hard to change. I almost never sketch directly on references, even if I want the sketch entities aligned later.

That said, you should be able to change anything that Creo puts in. It can be quite stubborn at times, but anything is changeable.

Doug, I don't get the "never sketching on references "part. I always sketch on references. Also, I sketch a bit, trying to fire up constraints I want as I go, then window everything, select modify, shut regenerate off and change my dimensions, click ok, and done.

What I mean is that if I have the RIGHT plane selected as a reference and I want a line in my sketch coincident with the right plane, I don't create it directly on the RIGHT plane reference line. I sketch it along side the RIGHT plane then apply a "coincident" constraint to align it. This gives me a little more control over the constraints I want.

With a line on a plane, it probably doesn't matter much, it was simply an easy way to communicate the process. However, if you've ever tried to fight to get Creo to make the assumptions you want while sketching, or tried to apply a constraint and Creo wouldn't let go of the one it created, this helps get around some (not all) of that.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back