Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ProE export to Mentor .PLACEMENT

Bob_L

I'm trying to set up a procedure for exporting a pcb assembly from ProE for importing into Mentor PADS. I can get everything to show in the .emn file including the .PLACEMENT info, but the problem is that when PADS tries to import it, the names don't match up and it doesn't import the part location info. PADS identifies a part using a "decal name" (like ABC123) and a "part name" (like XYZ098), so when it exports an .emn the result is:

.PLACEMENT
ABC123 XYZ098 J1 (reference designator)
x-pos y-pos z-pos rotation top/bottom place/unplace
.END_PLACEMENT

However when I start a pcb assy file from ProE, it exports the .emn the file as:
.PLACEMENT
XYZ098 XYZ098 NOREFDES
x-pos y-pos z-pos rotation top/bottom place/unplace
.END_PLACEMENT

I've tried all sorts of things under the part's parameters to try and get ABC123 to show up in the .emn export but no luck.

Does anyone know how to get this to work? Or where the .emn gets the placement info from?

I manually updated the .emn file to put ABC123 into the correct spot but PADS rejected it as a "mechanical part - ignored". Any ideas?

I'm so close on getting this to work. Thx for any help.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back