Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Re-orient in New Asm

NC12

Trying to re-orient and translate an existing assembly without creating another top level. Is there a faster way to Edit Definition all the components to remove the mating constraints in one shot while all the components stay in tact? This way I can reorient with multiple components selection.

What I want is to copy some components into a new assembly without having to re-mate (using Fix may not solve this issue since won't allow me to re-orient).

Why make a new assembly.
Go to view manager.
Make a new simplified rep containing the set of parts you want to show.
Make a new explode to position them as you wish.
Make a new combined state on the all tab.
Make a new print and use the combined state you made in the "all" tab.
If there are any parent child relationships you may want to keep the integrity of the assembly and its components you are working with.

If you are trying to reuse the assembly make a family table member and reinsert the assembly member where you want to reuse the variant. Do not make reference to it.

Chris

No help on your current assembly, but in the future you could try using mechanism (or pre-defined) assembly constraints. Using a combination of planar, cylindrical, and pin constraints allow you to move things around. If set up well, you can use the Drag tool and snapshots to quickly jump around different orientations. I'm doing that now for a project laying out a room with equipment (desks, chairs, cabinets)in different locations and orientations and two different floors (to give the client options).

Under-constrained objects may be moved around too. I'm not sure on that one, though, I haven't arranged things that way in a long time.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back