Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo & Multi-Core Processors

78finn

Does Creo 1.0 & 2.0 utilize Multi-Core processors? I have read conflicting reports?

Is it worth spending additional money on an i7 or Zeon processor for instance if an i5 with the same clock speed will run Creo at an equivalent speed?

I'm building a new system with a certified graphics card, decent mother board, solid state hard drive and 32BG of RAM. But I cant find any reference on the PTC website that states whether or not Creo is able to fully utilize multi-core processing. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

Edited by: 78finn

If you use the FEA package (don't remember what they call it any more) then more cores will buy you performance. Beyond that, opening assemblies can assign opening each part to a different core. This process may be limited by disk or network speed so the benefit may be small. Beyond that, I don't think there is any advantage beyond two or three cores so that the OS & email etc are not competing for resources. Faster core speed is still the biggest factor.

Mechanica does use multiple cores and runs best with
hyperthreading off. Efficiency drops off as more cores are
used so four seems best compromise. Core speed is king so
get a machine that can be overclocked. Use an SSD for the
scratch disk.

The rendering module uses multiple cores.

Edited by: moriarty

OK, so am I correct in thinking that an i5 dual core processor with the highest clock speed that I can afford is probably going to be the best way to go re: $ VS performance?

I''ve also heard that some processors are easier to over clock than others, so I will look into this as well.

Whats the deal with AMD these days also? Is anyone running Creo using any of there chips?

i7s will happily run ProE at 4GHz doing CAD work with
standard aircooling - not sure about Mechanica

arent i5s all quad core?

moriarty said:
i7s will happily run ProE at 4GHz doing CAD work with

standard aircooling - not sure about Mechanica

arent i5s all quad core?

Actually...I'm not 100% sure! ha...

What I'm really getting at:
is there much point spending a lot of money on an i7 processor when an
i5 processor with an equivalent clock speed will do the job equally as
well. Whilst I dont mind spending the money if there is a real world /
tangible difference when using Creo...there seems little point investing
in an i7 processor is Creo doesn't really take full advantage of it.
I'm not a technology die hard...so don't really want to spend out$$$
just to have the latest chip set if there is no significant benefit i.e.
like owning a Land Rover if you live in central London!
smiley2.gif

Edited by: 78finn

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back