Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Adding volume to mass properties analysis

seaeye

Hi,

I am using WF 5.0 M010 and I'm trying to figure out how to report the volume of all individual parts of an assembly in the mass properties calculation. I am writing the mass props analysis to a text file which I then use Excel to manipulate and I need the volume of each part to be listed along with its x,y & z CoG coordinates. By default the analysis only lists the total volume of an assembly.

Does anyone know how to do this? Is it driven by a config file that I could edit?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

An alternative might be to add the CoG coordinates of each componentto the BOM output driven by bom.fmt - anyone know how I might do that please?

The following link would help.
<a href="http://communities.ptc.com/message/178892#178892" target="_blank">http
://communities.ptc.com/message/178892#178892</a>

Thanks for the reply but that's not quite what I'm after. I want the x,y, & z coordinates of Cog for each part in the assembly - not just the CoG coordinates of the entire assembly.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Create a mapkey to open each part and create the analysis of each part.

Hmmm...I just did a mass properties analysis of an assembly and it gave me the density, mass, and CG of each part in the assembly. WF4.0

Go to Layer tree Choose Column Setting

Go to Type Then Mass Properties Parameters

Select PRO_MP_VOLUME

Give material for each properties Set the units as well

You will get the whole Volume of Assembly

Thanks!!!!

Thanks rahul, that almost gives me what I need. If I add the PRO_MP_COGX,Y,Z columns it gives me the dimensions relative to each individual part's own co-ordinate system - any idea how to give the COG dimensions relative to the assembly co-ordinate system (the same XY & Z values given with the mass properties calculation)?

Thank you.

Jon

Here are the high level steps that will put you on the right track.
Go to the part and add an analysis feature to measure the mass.
Alternately add one for the volume and use a relation to calculate the mass.
Make the value available buy making the parameter = to the analysis feature.
Make a repeat region in your assembly print that can show the parameter.
Now you can see the individual mass and if you set it up can sum them and see the total.
How you regenerate the assembly and or have inter dependencies set up can possibly give you a false result so make sure to regenerate everything before trusting the numbers. Be aware of units also if you start using relations/calculations.

Chris

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back