Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Surface feature Reference view

sk_astroman

I have a model made of surface features. I have created copy, fill, merge and finally Solidify features. I selected Merged quilt as reference to make solidify.

But when i looking for children feature for Merge feature in Reference Viewer, I could not see the listed children features that are dependent of Merge. Why it happen so? :(

For that I have to supress the merge feature so that it will fail for solidify feature. but is takes long time to regenerate. By this way only i could know Merge feature have children features.

Can any one help me to know dependent feature for surface features. Its also happened for solidify feature who have children feature.

- Karthikeyan

humm.... how to answer this?Basics of surfacing is how you select. Many people who learn surfacing on their own will turn off the selection manager to Quilt off from Smart. Doing this will never let you stumble upon this workflow of understanding what surfaces have been merged nor what hasn't been merged yet. Try this ... and this is one reason why I could not attempt to write a book on this stuff... you really need to sit next to me to get this selection set basics for surfacing....

Leave selection mode to 'Smart'.
pick a set of merged surfaces by digging once on the screen.
move you mouse ever so slightly and you notice the blue selection set show.
right click thru until you get the blue selection then left click on the desired selection.

This is how you can determine visually what has been merged vs what has not yet been merged.

Edited by: design-engine

Said in my best 60's surfer voice > Can ya dig it?
smiley17.gif

Merge features themselves don't have children, I don't
think. When you merge two quilts, the resulting quilt
takes the ID of the first quilt selected. So, if I pick
quilt A and then pick quilt B and merge them, the result
will still appear to be quilt A.

So, if you suppress or delete the merge of A and B, Pro/E
will try to regenerate the remaining features using quilt
A. Of course, since it isn't closed, the solidify and
other features will fail.

I think the same thing is true of surface trim and extend
features. This, I'm assuming, is because they aren't