Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Copying Geometry from IGES

WindLogik

Hello,

I'm just returning to Pro from Inventor after a 7-year hiatus. I really like the new Creo interface - great software.

I need to copy some geometry from a, or create mating geometry to, an IGES of an injection molded part involving some fairly complex surfaces. What is the cleanest, most elegant way to do this?

Here is what I was thinking:
<ul>[*]Design the mating component from an assembly with the IGES assembled.[*]Define datums from the IGES.[*]Create features for the new part in the assembly environment from the datums created in the IGES and surfaces already present in the IGES.[/list]This seems to be an approach that would work, but I always like to find the cleanest way to do things.

hi windlogik,
i couldnt understood clearly your question as to what exactly is your requirement.
from what i could understand you are importing the igs file in the form a prt & creating another prt using references for igs prt.
though proe allows you to do such idioticity i would suggest that you dont follow this approach.
please dont use features from a prt as references in another prt!!!
smiley11.gif

@WindLogik: Your approach is perfect.Only thing you should do is to redefine all references of mating part taken from IGES to make them independent.So that there is no link between new mating part & IGES (Otherwise that may cause missing reference problem)
@caddiger: I don't see any idioticity in using this approach.This approach saves lot of time compared to modeling part seperately.

s_pme20,

How would you go about making the the references independent and is it reversible?

I have some assemblies were the original designer removed his skeleton
model, yet the assembly still regenerates and has no major issues, I am
thinking this is what he did.

Regards,

Chris

In case of skeleton referencing:
for making references independent, you have to reattach every asm constraint within the assembly.Also parts build using skeleton references should be independent i.e. each sketch in part should not take reference from skeleton.
In your case, if parts are still referencing from skeleton and some1 might have made asm independent.So, you asm regenerates perfectly.But, skeleton must be present somewhere in your database.
That is one of the possibility.But can't predict what exactly he/she has done without looking at asm.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back