Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

missing skel, but parts regen just fine??

cpoirier

I have an assembly where a few of the parts are injection molded and mate perfectly.

The reason for this post is I am confused as to how the copy geoms at the top of the tree are fine even though the skeletons they are from were removed from the assembly, or may be from another assembly.

Interestingly enough the dam part regenerates successfully.
Of course I can only modify what is there not make changes to the total design in order to reuse it.
How was this done?
See that when I edit definition on the CG_SKELTOP it can not find the file?

View attachment 5644View attachment 5645

Chris

When Pro/ENGINEER cannot find the skeleton in session, then the Copy Geom features based on it are automatically frozen.

If you go to the Model Tree Settings button, click Tree Columns and add a colum forCopied Refs (under the Info category) to see this status.

You should see soem kind of message int eh message area.
Something like "Cannot find ref for copy geom, using old
placement."

You can change the config option
'fail_ref_copy_when_missing_orig' to 'yes' to force the
failure if you'd like, but that's not going to do you any
ood if you don't have the skeleton anymore.

Doug, Dave,
I have been using a skeleton for global control with a housing source part with internal cutting surfaces to design assemblies and then passing the data out with inheritance to make all my housing parts. (Curvy injection molded housing that needs to mate nicely) This can get ugly for people who need a native file to work with and don't know the what has been done.

I want to share native Pro-E files but want to preserve/keep frozen the main shape and skeleton data, all the while allowing easy sharing with Doc control, venders and other designers in native Pro-E, we do not have PLM/Vault software. Any pearls of wisdom? I have been developing my style of design by trial and error. So far I have used PDFs and STEPS for sharing and am keep the native files in a folder system local. But not being able to use native files is not a good way to go.

I worked at a consultancy for a while and SW has a functionality where you cut a model into bodies and "save part as assembly" to make it fast and easy. (SW2006)
We used to have a design assembly and a shadow assembly for sharing with the outside world and other designers doing detailed work. I want to do this with Pro but don't want to make a bunch of work for myself. I use Pro-E WF4.

Regards,
Chris

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back