Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Glare (WF5)

kdno421

when viewing the assembly perpendicular to a flat surface, the glare because of the default light settings is making it difficult to distinguish between parts because the edges are getting lost in the glare.

Any way to prevent this?

I have played with the model display settings but not really worked out for me. I also found an older thread discussing this issue but it is for 2001 SE version and most of the options have changed.

ok... I set up a few extra lights to negate the glare but those lights were being applied only for the current assembly file.

So I just created a mapkey that would help me do it.

Please do share if you know a better way of doing it.

First of all you need to set the "show_shaded_edge" option to "Yes". Even though the description says that the edge will be darker than than the surface, it has never has worked for me.

For the lighting:

View > Model Setup > Lights > Options(top right) > System Library > two-distant.dlg

Of course, it really helps if you have a black edge. If you have the patience then apply black paint to the complete model and then apply a different color to each surface to get the black edge.

The mapkey I created is inefficient. Even though I have locked the lights to the model (instead of studio), the coordinates for the position of the lights are probably just random numbers that have no relation with the model!

You would assume that when you set the "aim point Location" to (0,0,0),it would be the model origin but it is not.

You can also update the color pallet so that the colors do not shine as white, but rather a slightly different shade of the sample. Most if not all of the default colors have their "Highlight" set to white under the basic properties of each color. If the "Highlight" color were changed this would also accomplish the same results type of results without having create multiple lights and macros.

Just a thought.

I've been out of the loop since '09, so, bare with me. This "lighting" thing is new to me. The "glare" that I am familiar with is from ambiant light. The cure is to have the lightest color background you can stand. Light blue works best for me. The darker the background, the more ambiant light glare you will have.

For making any light setting default:
save as your new light setting file.
Put this file to: installation directory\graphic-library\lights\ (For WF-4, I don't know if they changed directory in WF-5)

You can change old default name to other name and make new file to default name.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back