Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Long NC milling times

Rastanking

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone could help me in suggesting reasons why I have some extremely long NC simulation times for my work.

The cavity that is being milled using an ball miller is over 1000 minutes!! The block is made of a high carbon steel AISI4140.

So my question is why? Is it because I have chosen the wrong tools or cutting speeds or both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

In practice you may find that you can use a roughing mill to rough the pocket and then change tools to the ball mill to re-rough and finish. material removal will be much faster with the roughing mill.

I am no NC expert but I turn handles once a week at least at home in my garage.

Chris

have you thought about using volume mill? you can control your step down and your scallop height better.

Is there any way to split the output based on time?
For example say my code is running for 20 hrs and I want it to split into 3 ( each less than 8 hrs)

You could split it up in to 3 different volume milling nc steps by creating a mill window with a specific depth then create 2 more that go deeper each time.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back