Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone could help me in suggesting reasons why I have some extremely long NC simulation times for my work.

The cavity that is being milled using an ball miller is over 1000 minutes!! The block is made of a high carbon steel AISI4140.

So my question is why? Is it because I have chosen the wrong tools or cutting speeds or both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

In practice you may find that you can use a roughing mill to rough the pocket and then change tools to the ball mill to re-rough and finish. material removal will be much faster with the roughing mill.

I am no NC expert but I turn handles once a week at least at home in my garage.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the advice, I will try and simulate my milling times with that.

Andy

Rastanking,

What sequence are you using to rough you cavity?

I'm using a profile mill to run round the edges and then face mill the centre part.

have you thought about using volume mill? you can control your step down and your scallop height better.

I'm quite new to NC milling,I'll give that a try. Thank you.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Rastanking View Post
    I'm quite new to NC milling,I'll give that a try. Thank you.

Andy
    Is there any way to split the output based on time?
    For example say my code is running for 20 hrs and I want it to split into 3 ( each less than 8 hrs)

Quote Originally Posted by MD1305 View Post
    Is there any way to split the output based on time?
    For example say my code is running for 20 hrs and I want it to split into 3 ( each less than 8 hrs)
    You could split it up in to 3 different volume milling nc steps by creating a mill window with a specific depth then create 2 more that go deeper each time.

Hi Andy
    Do you solve the issue?? or still need help???
    Zaki