Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Removing Intralink 3.4 user accounts

ERamsey

In the event of cleaning up our Intralink 3.4 database (prior to Windchill Migration), I noticed we have a lot of User accounts for employees that no longer work with the company.

I was wondering if there is any harm in removing/deleting these user accounts? Figure it's easier to ask now, then to find out later that it is a big mistake.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ed,

when one of our users leaves company, I always delete his account.
His username then still exists in the Pro/I attribute "created by" - there's no direct link between the user and the attribute.
We never got any problems when deleting a user.

If this makes problems at the migration, I don't know!

Don,

I ran a trial test account deletion later yesterday and noticed that the attribute was kept as the place holder of the created by also. Other than that everything seemed normal. I even check in the user documentation about deleting an account. No warnings were in that section (like I had seen in others). So I'm assuming (i know assuming lol) that you should be able to do this.

I'm not sure if it creates an issue for migration or not, I was looking at it from a mapping stand point where I had all these user accounts that were not needed.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by: ERamsey

When you migrate ProI files to Windchill the "created by" user is an attribute that will also need be migrated. If you have deleted the user that created the file then that user will have to be mapped to some other user for migration purposes. In a lot of cases companies map deleted users to wcadmin or create a "place holder" user to
migrate files with deleted users. Hope this is clear enough.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back