Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/e start assembly error

pyro

Hi Fellow users

Ihave tens of Pro/e parts & assm without the use of start parts. I fixed them as follows:Save the start part as a neutral file. Open my work part and insert data shared and pick the neutral file. This updates the parameters and relations, then i follow up with mapkeys to create notes, layers, etc.

Problem is that it doesnt work with assemblies. In my work part, the insert data shared doesnt find neutral files. Only option is ecad idf (*.ecm) and poltxt (*sol).

So how do standardize my work assemblies with the start assy? How do i automate the process more efficiently without opening each file manually? Alsoi read someone post, see below. I am wondering what do he mean by that?

"However, you will need to set config option new_parameter_ui = no as mapkeyscan't access the graphical parameter box."

thanks

smiley9.gif

You can use relations, but it'
s still a manual process, one by one.

Add a line like this to your relations:

parameter = value

This will create a parameter called 'parameter' with the
value of 'value'. I'm not sure what type of parameter it
will default to, however.

View attachment 5593
dross said:
Create an assembly start part, save in your template directory.

It wont matter because assemblies can only read two files under the insert/shared data/from file.... Maybe i am missing a config command. please advice. Any other way.

Edited by: pyro

I'm not sure you understand the concept of start parts.

First, you create models with the parameters and other info that you want included in all parts. Leave the values for the parameters blank. These models will be saved to a directory defined within your config.pro called "start_model_dir"

Afterwards, when creating a new part, whether assembly or not, do this:

File > New > select either part or assembly, depending on what you are making. Enter

Now, you should have a dialog box called "New file options"

Within this box, you will find your start parts, select the part you want to use as a template and model away!

With this concept, you are not using shared data and neutral files are not required.

dross said:
I'm not sure you understand the concept of start parts.

Afterwards, when creating a new part, whether assembly or not, do this:

File > New > select either part or assembly, depending on what you are making. Enter

Now, you should have a dialog box called "New file options"

You forgot to uncheck: "Use Default Template". You also forgot to read. I am trying to update existing parts/assemblies

dgs said:
You can use relations, but it'
s still a manual process, one by one.

Add a line like this to your relations:

parameter = value

This will create a parameter called 'parameter' with the
value of 'value'. I'm not sure what type of parameter it
will default to, however.

Please show me how to do this.. pm if necessary

A start part is exactly that, a part to start from.

I don't understand why you would want to "update existing parts/assemblies" using a start part.

I can read fine, perhaps, what you are trying to do is add parameters to existing assembles/parts. If so, this has nothing to do with start parts.
Edited by: dross

dross said:
A start part is exactly that, a part to start from.

I don't understand why you would want to "update existing parts/assemblies" using a start part.

I can read fine, perhaps, what you are trying to do is add parameters to existing assembles/parts. If so, this has nothing to do with start parts.

Yes, i like to add parameters. sorry for my grammar. At our job, we call it standardize the parts

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back