Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

accuracy when exporting surfaces?

tobbo

<DIV =forum>

1. I would like to know how accurate an exported surface are compared to the original surface. Lets say i export an Iges or Step , and when i compare it (by measure) with the original,will I be able tofind any difference? (even if its 0.001mm , i would like to know it). And if so, Is there some place i can specify the maximun deviation for exportsfrom pro/E?

2.Will the result of the deviation on the export be different for all programs that i import in? (like sw ,alias, rhino...) (probably?)

3. How does it work whenI export surfaces? Does Pro/E make some kind of mathematical function of the surf, and then export it? Or are Step/iges intelligent enough to know bezier and so on?

//Tobias Larsson</DIV>

Good topic Tobias.

at 3. I doubt at all - I export frequently geometry to Rhino via Step format, and there some strange issues(to say at least). The point is - while opening this STEP in Pro/E everything is fine, in Rhino - some additional geometry "alives". When saved in Rhino and open back in Pro/E results same as in Rhino.

Edited by: muadib3d

You will find that Pro-E reduces the order of the curves used to make the surfaces.
Not good if you need high fidelity coming out of Pro-E to another CAD or CAM package.
I asked this question before. You may be able to find the response and a copy of the IGES standard if you look at all my posts.

Best of luck.
Chris

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back