Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How To "Flatten" Large STEP Files

maesoph

Dear All:

I frequently get models from vendors for circuit cards, power supplies and the like. They are great models, but typically way too detailed with thousands of parts. For production level drawings, it's nice to have all of the parts visible so it looks at least partially realistic. However, if I have a model that includes 2 or 3 such parts, everythign slows down drastically - especially when harnesses are included.

I can't use a shrink wrap as they simply don't work in the many cross sectional views that I need to generation. These STEP files typically consist of many layers of empty assemblies for every single part which probably doubles the memory required. I would like to automatically "thunk" everything down to the top level, delete all of the empty assemblies and clean up what's left. Any thoughts on how to do this efficiently? Can this be done automatically?

Mike

We usually get the .stp file and they come in as assemblies. We save it as an .igs and then bring it into proe as a .prt. Also, if you have preselect highlighting turned on it can slow down when passing over a large part.

jef

Create a shrinkwrap part from the assembly and ignore all internal components. This will improve the useability quite a bit if that is all you need for the parts.

Try setting confog.pro option

intf3d_in_as_part yes

This will give you the option to choose between prt or asm when importingstep files (and other).

ouch...

Okay. When you import the file notice the model tree. WF4 WF5 or Creo 1.0

Go into Data Doctor by redefining the import feature.Hit the + sign in interface on the far right (of WF4.0) Notice the Plus next to the surface entity in the model tree. (creo uses an arrow to the right when collapsed) When you turn that plus into a minus you can in a sense collapse all the entities of the IGES or STEP file into one entity. Often when importing file from assembly you get surfaces outside the plus sign. If you collapse them notice they become merged. Often this is all that is required in order to stitch the model properly.

Was have the same problem, and here are 4 small steps to have high detailed PC boards and light as simple part.

1. Set in config.pro
intf3d_in_as_part yes - this will allow you to open STEP file as prt

2. Open STEP file as prt file - (there could also be problem, but then you open it as asm file, and from Model tree open first assmebly and proceed to step 3.)

3. Now file you have just open, export (Save a Copy) as STEP, but from Export Step Menu, chose under Geometry; Surfaces

4. Open new exported STEP file as prt - result is highly detailed model in surface - light as any regular simply part.

Enjoy ;)

I get many of the same PCBA files in STEP and IGES formats with hundreds of parts, and all I do is select "part" vs "assembly" upon importing. The only thing I may be doing different compared to others is dragging & dropping the file into an active session.

I do not have any config options set different than default for imports.

Quick viewing huge STEP and IGES files possible with MyCadbox

I get many of the same PCBA files in STEP and IGES formats with hundreds of parts, and all I do is select "part" vs "assembly" upon importing. The only thing I may be doing different compared to others is dragging & dropping the file into an active session.

I do not have any config options set different than default for imports.

A bit of a side track but hopefully helpful though:
You can easily validate the content of those huge files you get before working with them on other tools by viewing them with MyCadbox. It can to open huge and complex STEP and IGES files. See a comparison video at youtube to see the performance against Solid Edge and GrabCad with a 170mb IGES models with 16 000 parts inside before you try it yourself.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back