Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Config.win

bigmac

Is there a way to specify or use a certain config.win file in Config.pro? I thought I did this in the past but I can't remember how I did it. I'm running WF5 and I don't want to over-write the standard config.win. I have my own config.win file I want to use.

I am not sure if there is a config.pro setting to direct
Pro/E to look for a specific config.win file. You could go
to Tools => Options then enter * into the Option box and
click the find button. That will show you all of the
options available in your install of Pro/E.

Otherwise, you could make a copy of your default
config.win, store it somewhere else in your file system and
then replace the original with the one you want to use.

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that you can have config.win files in the loadpoint, startup and user home directories and they will load in that order. Note that loading multiple config.win files is cumulative and I've heard that things can become unstable if you load too many. I just put one in the loadpoint and stick with that.

Multiple config.win files are possible, but if each
modifies the same part of the interface the results can
be unpredictable. We load a company config.win and user
config.win here, but restrict the company file to only
modifying drop down menus while the user file can modify everything except the drop down menus. Seems to work
well.

In Creo 1.0 there is no more config.win, all the UI customizations are stored in a file deep inside the
user's profile on the local machine. There's no
practical way to change that. You can tell Pro/E to
store it in the working directory, however, since that
likely changes with every new session of Pro/E, it's not
a practical solution.

<In Creo 1.0 there is no more config.win, all the UI customizations are stored in a file deep inside the
user's profile on the local machine.>

I found this to be thelocation and file namein Win XPofthefile that controls the quick access toolbar...

C:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\Application Data\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.Settings\creo_parametric_ customization.ui

Thanks everyone for your help. I found some old copies of my config.pro and there was nothing in it for specifying a config.win file. So I saved the original config.win to another location and inserted my config.win file in the load point folder. This works for me. Thanks again.

robrific said:
<In Creo 1.0 there is no more
config.win, all the UI customizations are stored in a
file deep inside the user's profile on the local
machine.>

I found this to be the

Doug, set the config option load_ui_customization_run_dir to yes. Save your ribbon .ui file to the start in directory and make it read only. I have 4 users using the same ribbon ui this way.

I've looked at that option, and it's not really a good
solution. First of all, setting it to read only locks
users out of changing their UI, not a good idea. Second,
once the user changes their working directory to a
project folder, any UI changes will get saved there
instead and those will not load when Pro/E is launched
again. So now you have *.ui files in the project folders
and if two users work in the same folder and change their
UI while there, the second user's file will over write
the first.

PTC simply needs to restore loading that file from the
same folders as the config.pro. But they messed up how
that is modified too, so it's clear that the programmers
in charge of this part of the software have no
understanding of how this system worked before Creo.

I agree it's not perfect. When you want to make a change to the ui just unlock the file from read only, save over it and then lock it. I'm not locking users from editing just making sure they don't wipe out the file by clicking restore defaults.

I've told users that if they want to change the ui don't do it in the
working directory. If they do they must delete the ui file that is
automatically save there afterword. Every so often I'll search the directories for .ui files and delete them.

Also when you make a change create a new ui file with a date on it so you can revert back. I do this with config files as well.

Hello,

Won't Pro/E readConfig.win , if its simply placed in "text" dir of <Pro/E_installation_dir> , just like config. pro is read? Do we need to set any config options for Pro/E to read config.win

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back