Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo Paramteric 1.0 / ProEngineer M110

tomzetec

Hello, I want to buy a new workstation for a guy working with Creo and I dont know which card to choose: ATI firepro V7900 or nvidia quadro 4000. I was thinking about HP Z600 Xeon E5620 or HP Z400 Xeon W3670 3.2GHz, both with 12 GB RAM. What about HDD's, is this better to choose 4*500GB 7200 and set it to RAID 10 or SSD*2?

Thanks a lot for your help.

nvidia quadro 4000

Are you storing models locally or working from a network? For Network storage I would use the SSD for fast boot and program startup. However if you are storing the data locally I would use a raid setup with redundancy for data security. At least 10k rpm drives if not 15k rpm.

Data will be stored mostly locally. I have read manual once again and woops, there is only 1 free3.5" bay inside the chase, so HP predicted only a space for two hdds, that's a pity :( Finally I will decide to buy magnetic HDD and make them working in RAID1, SSD is still very expensive, unfortunatellyto expensive. A few posts backwards someone complainedabout Quadro 4000 in Wildfire 5 and my doubts resulted from it. Thanks anyway for your answer.

Perhaps there is someone else who could express his opinion, I would appreciate any hint.

What about processor, whether Creo uses all cores and E5620 2.4GHzwill be a better choice from the 6-core W3670 3.2GHzor even cheaper 4-core W3565 3.2GHz? E5620 is in Z600, its motherboard supports up to 2 physical processors for future upgrade if necessary, but I am not sure if its worthit, everything depends onthe manner of using of stores through Creo.

Thanks for any hints.

Get the fastest core speed possible. Overclocking is great if you can get away with it. Where I work the computers can not be modified. There is little benefit from multiple cores. Pro/E can use different cores for opening different parts when opening assemblies. However, you will need fast disks to take advantage, otherwise disk access time will predominate and the extra cores won't do any good. 2-4 cores help a little by spreading the OS and other applications around so that Pro/E does not get interrupted. I would not bother with more than 4.

Of course, it's important how much the processor can do in one cycle so newer more efficient designs may show some improvement over older designs at the same clock speed.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back