Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Extremely slow after IGES Import

Zestje

Hello,

I have IGES data converted from ECAD files. Fhe file contains a few hundred simple rectangular blocks. After importing the IGES into an almost empty part, ProE becomes -extremely- slow when interacting with the import feature. When I select the import feature ProE freezes about 2 minutes before anyting happens. I don't know why.
The only thing I have found which might have something to do with it, is that for each block (ECAD component) a layer is created which contains the surfaces of each block. Maybe that's just too much for ProE. I haven't had the chance to test that yet.

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening?
Thank you for any help...

Hello,

I just stumbled upon this post again and wanted to let you know I found the cause of the slowing down. It is indeed the number of layers. I had well over a hundred layers after the import. After deleting most layers (which took quite a long time due to the slow response) ProE's speed went back to normal.
Putting all the items on the layers onto one single layer does not slow down ProE (much).
Looks like layer handling isn't that optimal?

Good feedback, thanks. You should submit an enhancement request to PTC to handle more layers. They will probably tell you to export fewer layers.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back