Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Multi-core

Indusign

Hello,Is there in WF4 any way to get it running as fast as it should be on a multi-core workstation?We just had our new Fujitsu CELSIUS W510 / Xeon
E3-1270(3.4GHz-4core) / Nvidia Quadro 2000 1GB / 128GB SSD HD & 1000GB
HD / Windows7 Pro 64 / 4x4 GB - DDR3 SDRAM - 1333 MHz

So this is a rather
smiley4.gif
performant workstation with all that's needed to work smooth with ProE!
But as expected, it uses only 25% of it capacity with ProE
smiley18.gif

Are there any shortcuts, work-arounds, solutions,...... to get the real performance out of these machines with ProE ?
Or will we have to wait till 2036 till PTC comes up with some kind of multi-core solution ?

It's not just PTC, very littleCAD software is multiprocessor. One thing in Pro/E that is multiprocessor capable is assembly retrieval, each part is opened by a separate core.

Very little software can be architected to run on multiple processors. Only things that can be broken into independent chunks and then reassembled like rendering or finite element analysis. There is nothing you can do about it. It is part of the Intel Koolaid that they sell all these cores that sit around doing nothing. It got too hard for then to keep increasing core speed but they have all this die area available due to the ever shrinking transistor so they stick lots of cores on one die & charge you for them. There is some benefit to 2 or 3 cores since the OS has to do some work and you probably keep your email running all the time. Beyond that additional cores become useless except for the few people running CFD etc.

You already have a high core speed and lots of RAM. I suppose you could jack up the core speed some more at the risk of reliability.

I have determined that the computer speed will never be fast enough. Multi-cores are great for running multiple applications/processes. They don't improve the speed of a particular applications except that there is less competition for the same processor resources.

we recently bought Workstations with following specifications,
HP z400 Workstation Xeon processor 3.2 GHz Quad Core
24 GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro 2000 1GB
SATA 7200 rpm 1T

but still the performance of pro e while handling assemblies is too poor. especially regeneration and mechanism
!

If you think Pro-E is slow on large assemblies try running Autodesk Inventor. You'll then think Proe-E is lightning fast.

About 8 months ago I changed my job (actually from business owner), the new company exclusively uses Autodesk inventor. I now have probably a medium size assembly with approximately 1,100 parts. Switchig from screen to screen (assembly to part, part to part, part to assembly) literately takes 10 seconds while the computer thinks. It feels like when I was running on XT and 286 computers.

To top it off, the constraints are very fragile. Just moving a hole or making a part thicker will corrupt other features. They are not attached to geometry the same way Pro-E attaches itself. You project geometry and attach to that. If the geometry moves, the projected geometry remains in its prior location 50% of the time. Its very primitive and feels like Pro-E before Wiledfire with the intent manager.

When I used Pro-E (on Solaris), it would only crash on me about once or twice a year. This is now a daily experience on Windows 7 and Inventor 2012. Many programming bugs.

The only good thing is the user interface. Very intuitive and easy to learn.

I started using Pro-E on release 18 and stopped on WF5. So maybe I'm biased towards Pro-E, but I believe my findings accurate.

Edited by: radelectronics

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back