Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Can MAC’s run Creo (WF 5.0)?

johni

I was wondering if anyone out there in ProE land has had any experience running ProE on a MAC. If so, did you expereince any issues or would you recommenda MAC for Creo or WF 5.0? I have not been able to find much data or information on the web that would recommend it. Also, PTC does not have any MAC products listed as supported hardware. We are going to upgrade our workstations and MAC's were discussed as an option. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in adavnce!!

It will run if you load Windoze. Why anyone would spend all the extra cash for a Mac & then run Windoze is beyond me.

My universitytried to do exactly that. They sold all the old Lenovos and purchased Macs (running XP, because a lot of engineering software is Windows only)for all the engineering labs. I'm not an apple hater or fanboy, but I think that was about the worst decision they could make.

It took six months for the students (and most of the faculty)to convince them to switch back. They had to sell the towers back to apple at a lot less than purchase price! I only wish they had kept the monitors.

In short, don't buy a Mac for engineering purposes. Stay with Windows on Windows hardware.

MAC users boost about how simple the MAC is to use.

They then load Windoze and all their PC software and spend
all their spare time trying to get it to work. Crazy.
Edited by: moriarty

Thanks all for the feedback. From what was posted and what else I'vebeen told,it sounds as if using a MAC with any CAD software may not be the best idea. I'll stick with Windows!!

Atropos89 said:
It took six months for the students (and most of the faculty)to convince them to switch back. They had to sell the towers back to apple at a lot less than purchase price! I only wish they had kept the monitors.
But what exactly went wrong? I'm quite attracted by Macbooks because of some features I can't find on most Win laptops (like a proper powered Wildfire interface), but I'll use it with Windows 7 or another Microsoft OS. What kind of issues did you find?

Paolo

@zpaolo-

There were quite a few things that went wrong. Each by itself probably wouldn't have been much of an issue, but with all combined it really made us question the administration's judgement. One of the most easily fixed was that excuse for a mouse and keyboard. Yeah, there's a bit of resentment there.I realize some people prefer the laptop style keyboards, and I'm fine with that. But I know that most people I know would rather have a trusty IBM Model M. As for the mouse, I hope I don't have to explain why that is a problem for modeling.

Anyway, mouse and keyboard were easy to fix - I just had to bring my own to the labs. Then there was how IT has bootcamp set up. The computers were always left on, and would reboot automatically every night. So this mean having to shut down OSX, and then boot up windows every day just to use our software. Again, by itself, just annoying.

Then there was the performance issue. I'm not an expert with Macs or bootcamp, but for dual quad core towers costing over $2000 (they splurged), they were really slow. In fact, when in windows mode, the old Lenovos in the Library could outpace them with quick benchmarks like SuperPI. Other performance issues included graphical problems, like having to disable prehighlight due to extreme lag, and some things just not shopwing up right and requiring a reboot. Reboots were required fairly infrequently however.

In addition, Apple support wasn't very helpful with issues like these. I had heard they were pretty good, but I was very disappointed. It seemed like the attitude was "You bought them, you fix them". I imagine others have had better experiences here. There may have been other issues - it wasa year or twoago.

Now when you add this all up, including the price, and think of what kind of PC you could get for 2 grand, it just doesn't make sense. We could have been running towers of equivalent power, and possibly dual 1080p displays per computer. I think that if money is going to be spent, it should be spent on something that is designed for the task at hand.

Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but my computer has firewire, and I've never used it. I'm of the optinion that everything should switch to USB for interconnectivity. But that, and the horrible design of USB ports, is another discussion entirely. Cheers!

I consider an iMac to be practically the ideal ProE
machine for most purposes. A huge amount of extremely
high quality IPS display panel (at good aspect ratio, not
these ridiculous letterbox shape ones everything else
seems to be now), very good graphics, great input
devices, minimum noise, wires, and footprint. Go for it!
I ran ProE on iMac for years. These days I'm on Dell
workstation for work and miss the iMac a lot
smiley11.gif

Incidentally, the stereotype that Macs are overpriced
only somewhat applies to the Mac Pro desktops. Take an
iMac and the IPS panel alone is practically the same
price as a Dell Ultrasharp (of same or lower quality) by
itself. I don't know how Apple makes iMacs so cheap.

Atropos89 said:
@zpaolo-

There were quite a few things that went wrong. Each by
itself probably wouldn't have been much of an issue, but
with all combined it really made us question the
administration's judgement. One of the most easily fixed
was that excuse for a mouse and keyboard. Yeah, there's a
bit of resentment there.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back