Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

create ’original’ uncut surface

Zestje

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to create a copy of an (imported) design surface or quilt in its original or maximum size without cut contours. Let me try to explain:

The image below shows part of an imported 3D quilt that has a cut running throug it. Before the cut was made, the surfaces in yellow were 1 single surface, as were the surfaces in pink.

So these surfaces must have the same mathematical definition. Is it possible to create an extended copy or just simply extend one of the sufaces to its original uncut size or to its maximum size mathematically possible?
Good old I-DEAS could do this and it was a great function to repair and clean imported surfaces data!

View attachment 5396

Thank you for any help.

for surfaces with holes in them, you can copy the surface,then paste and chose to fill holes. for surfaces that have more or less sides than 4, you can apply "surface freeform" feature on that surface and get the underlying 4 sided surface (its approximation). but for a trimmed surface thats 4 sided, you can only extend it with "same" option and hope for a good approximation.

@solidworm: Thank you for your answer. I already thought there would be no way to achieve what I want, but hope someone else proves us wrong...

This worked for me in wf4. redefine import (IDD) and highlight the two surfs to make one. Under IDD pulldown menu, select convert to extrude. When I hit done my surf became one. Note: this is done with just an extruded curve for the surface with a cut thru the middle. Could you export (iges) and post just those surfs for us to play with.
Edited by: krow72

Another way is to make a copy of the surface, exportthe surfaceas an iges (use a common CRS), import it back into the model (use the same CRS)and delete the edges using IDD. This will get you back to an "original" surface that can be extended.

@bwilson: That tip works great on some of the surfaces! On other surfaces it does not work, e.g. when the original surface hes been split entirely into 2 separate surfaces.

Use, insert->advanced->surface free form, accept all
defaults and accept the feature. This will give you an
uninterrupted uncut surface as designed.

If it was designed with a gap then it will not fill in the
gap, but if the original modeler had a full surface then
cut it, it will fill in any of those openings.

This tool is very good at giving you "untrimmed" surfaces

you want to use the IDD Import Data Doctor to fix that. You simply untrim the surface.

or

re-model the surfaces using your typical surfacing workflow.
Edited by: design-engine

If the surface is split in 2 you can do this: In IDD, delete one surface. Delete the edge of the second surface (where the surfaces should meet). Pick the surface and go to the edit pull down menu and choose "extrapolate". This allows you to pick the edge and extend the surface. Extend to beyond what you need and then merge.

Thank you all again, I will try out these further tips & tricks this week
smiley1.gif

@krow72: Using 'Extrapolate' is a great tip! In combination with deleting trimmed boundaries I can recreate large untrimmed base surfaces!
smiley32.gif

Yes there is a difference. Extend will start to deform the surface when you get to the original surface end. With extrapolate the surface will continue as if there is no end to the original surface (hopefully this makes since). So, for example. If the original surface was 5 inches long the extend will work up to 5 inches and after that will distort the surface or fail all together. If you use extrapolate you can "extend" the surface to as far as the surface will go without intersecting itself.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back