Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

HELP Please-Simp. Rep tutorial In WF 5.0?

wesalauzen

I am new to WF 5 and this new simplified rep interface has me all mixed up. I do not have access to training and could really use some help.

I am used to WF 2 being able to start with a top level assembly and pick away parts I don't want, or exclude the whole list (in the model tree) and pick just what I want out of the model in the main window (with the model still being viewable).

I am also used to being able to right click on a component until I have what I need regarding level of assembly (click up the tree to theneeded level assembly of the component I am highlighting).

Also valuable was the ability to set a rep active and then modify another rep starting from the point of the active rep (works if I excluded something that I didn't mean to, just set a more complete rep active that includes the part I accidentally removed, then include that part).

With the new interface, I can select multiple items in the "main window" similarly to what I had done in the past, but once I get back to the list, it seems I can only work with one item at a time in the tree, once I change the status of one item, all my other selections go away.

Also, It appears I can select items in the rep window, but I cannot right click on an item to select higher level assemblies as I could before. I have to work one component at a time and select from list to grab the right level of assembly, then change the rep status.

I work in Tech Pubs doing parts illustrations and the like. Seems like this is a huge step backward in that it adds complexity, but does not maintain simple,efficient functionality...

Please tell me I'm wrong and that I just need to learn the interface.

Please help. Is there a good tutorial on this subject anywhere? Can one of you help me to wrap my brain around the new interface and methodology?

I would reall appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks in advance.
Edited by: wesalauzen

I would say it's finding a method you are comfortable with and getting use to it. The biggest problem is as I've been told and it rings true is most things seem to add a mouse click or two to what you had to do before but I'll list some things I've learned going through the simplified rep interface.

1. For viewing the model the dialog has a built in viewing window that can be opened (if you decide to use it). If I remember correctly it was initially closed so you have to open it. You should seea double arrow on the dialog box border (probably on the right initially). There are two menu options in the upper right that control what is displayed in the window and where the window is located.

2. You can select things from the graphics window or model tree like you did before. Above the model listing there is a menu selection Select>Select in Main Window. Select the items you want from the graphics window or model tree and then Okay. This takes you back to the simplified rep dialog box and the items should be highlighted. Don't select anythinginstead position your cursor over one of the highlighted itemsor over the blank rows after the last item in the list and RMB>Representation and select the representation desired. If you select over an unhighlighted item everthing you selected will get unselected. You can can also RMB over the dialogs graphics area but you have to hold the RMB through the whole selection process.

3. Don't get hung up on have to select check box on the left of an item or in the right column to select a components representation. Select on the names and you can use CTRL and SHIFT to multiselect items. You then RMB as mentioned before and select your representation.

4. You can also set rules. The process is awkward but you add the rule, RMB>New over the condition to create a condition, and RMB>New over the condition again to define the rule.

Thanks so much for the help. The right click over the highlighted parts after selecting in the main window was the crucial step I was missing (or messing up). I also figured out how to copy reps so I don't have to start from scratch if I have a similar rep that is almost correct and how to use the view selection to include or exclude items based on their status.

Back in business... ; )

Thanks so much : )
Edited by: wesalauzen

Dental handpiece is a particularly sophisticated medical equipment, the correct ways using and maintenance will directly affect the service life of the dental handpiece. This requires the users to master a certain common sense of using and maintenance.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back