Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Offset surfaces

SW

I am battling with offset surfaces once again.

I am working with a Style feature to create a plastic moulding and so need constant wall thickness from a normal offset. If I could tell where the problem was before creating the feature I would stand a chance, but if I create a curvature analysis feature and then modify the surface the colours go crazy until I turn the analysis feature on and off again.

I don't understand how what is a fundamental feature to a lot of industries is so poorly supported. What is the point of the powerful surfacing features if it so difficult to modify the parts to be fit for manufacture?

Also. the offset analysis feature seems of little use to me can somebody explain it please?

I've read the other posts on this subject and am hoping someone has fresh ideas.

Sam

You could also check your min/max radius on a surface, this
would also be a limiter to making an offset.

If there is a particular area that is too "sharp" you can
cut that area out, offset the rest of the surface, and
create an "approximate" offset in that small area by
building in a new surface.

Thanks for the reply.

I use the minimum radius analysis, but it takes too long to keep using the Analysis feature each time I modify the Style feature. To stand a chance I need realtime updates of the minimum radius while I am creating the feature.

Any ideas?

Sam

When you run the offset analysis, you should be able to
see where you surface has problems by looking for spots
where the mesh is incongruous or where the line segments
in the mesh are not connecting.

That is what I thought, but it is hardly obvious where the problems are.

The shaded curvature or radius analysis seems the best bet, but it really needs something that is realtime as the surface is modified

Catia just warns you there is a problem then if you accept just swallows up the intersecting surface. This is good as it leaves the user to descide if its a problem from an engineering point of view.

Sam

can you do a saved feature and keep it displayed, still not
realtime, but better than re-running the analysis everytime
Edited by: csusie

That is what I do, but it is too slow to make any decent progress.

I think I am going to have re-model the inner surface and then offset outwards. Not really ideal as the outer surface is the A-side and there are 180 features downstream...

If you create your saved analysis while in your style
feature, you can see updates real-time. You will loose the
larger analysis window while modifying feature, but the
small saved analysis window will stay open which allows you
to easily open the saved analysis that you want to view
while still in your style feature.08-10_090005_analysis.jpg">

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back