Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Start Parts - Dropdown List

Atropos89

We are just making the switch to Creo from Inventor, and are having a bit of trouble with creating some start parts for our solid models. We have quite a few parameters for our models, some of which should be picked from a list (material category, product specs,short description, etc). Is there a way to change the text entry field at new part creation to a drop-down so the user can pick from a list?

See the following for a crude example.
View attachment 5317
Edited by: Atropos89

you add parameters in creo in a part using he dashboard. Then save that part in the appropriate folder so it can be used as a start part in your next 'create part'

Right, but all I can add for parameters is a String, Int, Real Number, or Boolean. I want some datatype that can be a list that the user can pick from. So instead of typing "440C SS" in the material name box, the user picks "440C SS" from a drop-down list.
Edited by: Atropos89

Hi Zach
I'm using Wf4 and i use the restricted parameters to get
some thing like that, but only in model tree.
Take a look at the pic.03_033649_Capturar.PNG">

Hi Zach
I'm using Wf4 and i use the restricted parameters to get
some thing like that, but only in model tree.
Take a look at the pic.
03_034109_Capturar.PNG">

Atropos89

Do a quick search through the help documentation for
restricted value parameters, this is what you are looking
for.

Thanks guys, I got the restricted value parameters to work. I was able to make them appear in the model tree as Jo

I think you can only get drop downs once you have created
the part. You'll see them in the parameter window and in
the model tree (if you're showing that particular
parameter as a column)

PS - if you change the restricted list, make sure you open
start parts, update the restricted list definition, and
re-save your start parts.
Edited by: MGortner

That's too bad. It'd be really nice to be able to have a dropdown at part creation.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a restricted parameter that allows for multiple selections? We have aparameter that we want to record process types, so we'd ideally want to be able to select both Machined, Sand Blasted, and Heat Treated from one list. Ctrl+Click doesn't work for selecting multiple items.

Yeah, we could. I think we have six different processes, so if I were to make a dropdown that had every combination I'd need a lot of entries. They can have anywhere from one to four processes applied to them, which turns out to be 6+30+120+360=516 Of course, some of the combinations wouldn't make sense, but that's still a lot of options. I'll just make it a text entry box.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Hi Zach,
You could possibly have several template parts if you have a few top level materials/processes you use and have each one with the material/process parameters set as you want.

Another possibility is to look at the material under File>Properties where you could set up different materials and even different materials for different processes.

You can also use the Relations area to import Parameters (as text). If you want to know more I can find something.

Regards, Brent

Can a template be a family table? You might be able to easily structure it that way but I have no idea what happens if you pick a family table part as a template. If you're lucky, Pro/e will let you pick an instance.

Yes, you can have a family table template. I was going to do that for sheetmetal parts so I always have the flat but it gets a bit cumbersome to deal with. I don't know about this case in particular but it may be more cumbersome as well. Plus, you would have to eventually seperate it from the family table at some point.

You could create a few mapkeys to create the parameters needed for a particular type. Only issue is that mapkeys for parameter creation doesn't work for the GUI parameter interface. But, you can change it to the old interface,run the mapkey, then set it back. I do this quite often for imported parts that don't have allmy standard parameters.

You may be able toincorporate the config option change into the mapkey although I've never tried this.

Next bestthing I supposewould be seperate start parts templates.The advantage ofstart parts isyou can also have a drawing template to go along with it.

I think it'd be best to just have it be an entered field. I would really like to work from one start part rather than having multiple ones. We'll just have to make sure our users are educated enough to input the right data!

I just tried creating a new part from a family table part instance and Pro/E made a new part with the note that the new part is standalone (not table driven). So I think this could be a valid approach for the original poster to accomplish his goal.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back