Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF 4.0 on Dell T3500 Crashing

jhayes2

I'm hoping that someone might be able to assist me here.

I'm running WF4.0 on a Dell T3500, includes a nVidia Quadro 2000 card and 2 24" Dell monitors.

Pro/E will crash on me multiple times throughout the day. It doesn't matter if I'm assembling a component, checking into Windchill or switching between Pro/E windows. It will either Pro/E will either crash and unexpectedly close, or it will freeze my display and cause me to hard boot pc.

It is starting to look like it might be the fact that I'm using dual monitors, but I'm not certain. My engineering IS group is in uncharted territory at the moment as well.

We have tried various drivers (PTC supported and others) with no luck.

Any thoughts?

It may be an issue with your video card competing for memory. Do you have the /3Gb switch set? If so, what do you have defined for the /userva?

Please provide more information like what OS (x32 or x64) you are running, How much RAM you have, What nVidia Driver version you are using, How large your files are.

These are all factors in issues like this. Also run a Detailed Diagnostic on your RAM in the system. There may be some bad chips on the RAM DIMM. And also try updating your Video Driver software.

-David

Dual monitors is not the issue. I have a T3500 and it works just fine.

First check that you are using a certified driver for the video card. Running on the latest driver for the video card is not always a smart move. It's normally safer to run with the drivers that come with the installation disks.

Another annoying thing to check is that you are not using an IntelliMouse from Microsoft or one of those fancy Logitech mice. They are nice, but their drivers tend to cause indigestion to Windows. Updating the driver does not fix the issue in most cases. If this is your case and you want to use them you need to delete their drivers and use them with the generic drivers loaded by windows.

Spaceballs are safe to use.

The 3GB switch is not always a solution with XP 32. Sometimes it causes more troubles than what it fixes. If you have 4GB RAM and you need the /3GB try using a userva of 2.5.

I hope this helps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back