Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Surface Modeling

hondarider09

Hello All,

I am fairly new to surface modeling, and am currently stuck. What I am
making is best explained as an air duct, but it's not a typical round or square
shape. The other problem is I need to merge two "ducts" into one, like a Y.

The shape of the duct isn't crucial.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Garett

there are a number of ways you can accomplish this shape.In our 1 week class I model this shape both with a VSS tool and the boundary blend and in ISDX.

http://proetools.com/category/courses/pro-surface pro surface training classes We do this class every fourth week of the month.

with the VSS technique you will require a circle sketch that is broken into four parts. It should be flexible enough to parametrically move the radius to say 100 which is almost flat. So blending a 2" circle to a square also moves the radius of the circle to a large number simulating a square. Not exactly square but works well. I've done this shape with a rotomolded air-duct shape for Polaris 15 years ago.

For the boundary blend technique you will simply require a circle on one end and a square on the other. It helps if you break your circle up into four equal quadrants that pare up with the square. Don't forget to line up your control points.

Edited by: design-engine

Great way to sell your services, thanks for the info and I will keep you guys in mind!

As for the duct, I managed to get it to work. I went from the square to circle, mirrored it as the other side was symetrical, and then merged them. I probably couldn't do it again, but I got it. Ha thanks!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back