Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Opening older version of a Pro/E file?

EddyVE

I am using WildFire 4 without any data management system like Intralink or WindChill.
I was wondering, is there an elegant way to open/view an older version of a Pro/Engineer file (.prt, .asm, .drw ..).

Say I have a part, of which the current file version is MyPart.prt.8
I now would like to view MyPart.prt.7 and MyPart.prt.6. Is there a comfortable way to do this?

One way I can think of is to copy MyPart.prt.7 in Windows Explorer and to rename it (into MyPartOld.prt.1 for example). But this already poses problems if it has a drawing attached to it.

Another way would be to copy MyPart.prt.7 (and an accompanying drawing MyPart.drw.i if you like) to a temporary directory.
Then open a second WildFire instance (without or with an empty search.pro file so that it cannot find the original MyPart.prt.7), go to the temporary directory and open MyPart.prt.7.

Like I said, not very elegant. Is there an easier way?

Kind regards
Eddy

I didn't think of that! Good idea!
If you drag an older version of an already opened file, WF asks to change the file name (PRT0001) but that I can live with.
Thank you!

Kind regards
Eddy

If I know what number I want, I click on the file in the File -> Open dialog which displays without version number, Then, before I hit open, I manually enter the .XX number at the bottom.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back