Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Internal vs External Sketches

Atropos89

Is there any way of turning an external sketch into an internal one and vice-versa? A coworker recently came to me with a problem - he created an extrude with an internal sketch, when he actually wanted a revolve. Is there any way to get rid of the extrude without also losing the sketch?

Thanks for the help!

Work around.
Open the sketch then file>save a copy (saves a section)
Start the new feature (revolve), define the new sketch location, sketch>insert data from file>select the section you saved, use the handles to place it and set the scale to 1.
LMB moves it by the handles, RMB moves the handle on the geometry. (click drag) Play with it, it will work. Once this is done set the filter to dimensions window the dims, and rt click>lock to be safe.

Chris

Atropos89 said:
Is there any way of turning an external sketch into an internal one....

If you got an external sketch, just go in to the feature (revolve/extrude...) and "edit" the sketch from there. Then you will get a question if you want to break the dependency from the external sketch. Go for it and you will have an internal sketch instead.

//Tobias

Atropos89 said:
"he created an extrude with an internal sketch, when he actually wanted a revolve. Is there any way to get rid of the extrude without also losing the sketch?"
Tobias,
I have a lot of respect for both you and a few others out here who have helped me both knowingly and without knowing while I watch.

Here is a formal thank you,
Best regards,
Chris

Edited by: cpoirier

Thanks Tobias, but that didn't work. If I Edit a sketch from within its feature, it just goes into edit mode like it would with an internal sketch, and if I Edit Definition from within the feature, it just rolls back the model to thelocation of the external representationof the sketch in the design tree. It basically act the same as if I were to Edit Definition ofan external sketch.

I forgot to mention this is Creo.

@ Chris (Cpoirier) - Thanks!

Atropos89 said:
Thanks Tobias, but that didn't work. If I Edit a sketch from within its feature, it just goes into edit mode like it would with an internal sketch, and if I Edit Definition from within the feature, it just rolls back the model to thelocation of the external representationof the sketch in the design tree. It basically act the same as if I were to Edit Definition ofan external sketch.

I forgot to mention this is Creo.

ok, then it

I think you guys are talking about opposite things. Atropos
is trying to externalize an internal sketch... that cannot
be done. The only option is saving the sketch and importing
into the revolve feature. Tobias is talking about
internalizing an external sketch, which still works in
Creo.

ok, thanks.

"Is there any way of turning an external sketch into an internal one...."

Thats the question i answered.
smiley1.gif

//Tobias
Edited by: tobbo

No need to save sketch and import, if it is done in single session..
Just copy everything in sketch and paste in other sketch..you need to redefine two references again..

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back