Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Layer problems

sandeep410

Even after creating layers and only including three datum planes on layer. I am unable to see datum planes in model.I had hid the default layers and unhide the newly created layers but i am not able to make it appear in model.
Any1 knows what i am doing wrong

As I see it you are going by intuition. Proe layers are
different from AutoCAD layers. Please go through the help
files on Layers and layer management. When you hide the
default layers, you also hide the default datum planes.
Hence, you don't see them in-spite of the datum plane
visibility on.

Can you upload your part?
I suggest you download the help topic collection for WF4
from ptc.com. You need an active maintenance account.

You can access the online help from the below link.
<a href="http://www.ptc.com/cs/help/proengineer_hc/proe_help" target="_blank">P
roe_Help</a>

Layer display actuallyhave three states - hide, unhide and isolate. Unfortunately, Isolate is only available in the view menu, not in any of the layers dialogs. Isolate is like saying "Of all items on layers, I only want to see these."

There's a very good Mastering Layers Q&A thread here, with a nice PowerPoint, that you can review, but here's the short version on the three states:

First, understand the hierarchy of items. Assy's contain parts, parts contain features, and features contain entities (edges, surfaces, vertexes, etc.) If an item in hidden, all of it's sub items are hidden too. So, if you hide a part in an assy, there's no way to unhide a specific feature in the part. (Keep in mind, that even a datum plane feature contains a datum plane entity, so it's possible to put the plane feature on layer A and the plane entity on layer B and find that nothing you do to layer B will make the plane show if layer A is hidden. It's good to stick with placing only features on layers due to this.)

Second, understand the hierarchy of layer settings. If an item is on two layers, one hidden and the other unhidden, hidden wins. If one layer is hidden and the other is isolated, isolate wins. So, isolate trumps hidden, hidden trumps unhidden. Effectively, that means that if you use only isolate and hidden, you can fine tune what is displayed.

There are plenty of other nuances, to understand them, I'd scan that thread above. This should help get you started. Layers are very powerful, once you understand the rules.

Clear as mud, eh?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back