Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Length of steam coil

genet

I need some help here

I have been a member here for some time but never posted, but I do find alot of good info

Here is my problem

System WF3

I am making a number of steam coils and need to calculate the length of all of them

I used Helical sweep to create them but cannot use the mass length to get straight length because there is no skectch line

Help
smiley19.gif

if the cross section of the coil is constant,one way is to calculate the volume inside the coils,(copy the inside surface,cap the ends using fill, merge and solidify,then calculate the volume) dividing it by the area of the cross section(inside the pipe,not wall portion). that would be the length of the center curve.
other ways involves sweeping two lines in the form of an "L", then calculating the intersection.
(try to see if you can sketch an "L" at the center of the circle you already have. )

Edited by: solidworm

Could be misunderstanding this, but a helical sweep has got a path, why can this not be measured?

Thanks for the quick reply from both of you

Wow Solid worm thats alot of work for the amount of coils I have to create

Kenppy, I thought they should have a path also but I cant get the path to show

Do I have to turn some setting on?

I have been off of Pro for a couple of years so I maybe missing something

Thanks again guys

use the surface area, that way you don't need to calculate the volume.
(outer area of the coil surface)/(perimeter of the outer wall=2*pi*r)= length of center curve

Edited by: solidworm

No problem

Kenppy, How do I post a typical coil so you guys can see one of them

I could post the part if that is possible

there's a diskette icon on top of theeditor,when you post here, that is the attachment icon. zip the file first,then attach.

saw your part, i already mentioned the easiest way
smiley2.gif

its solid, so u dont need to merge or solidify anything. just get the volume from,analysis>model>math props, then devide by the cross section area of the solid pipe = pipe flat lenght

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back