Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

copy geo from diff part-1 feat t a time?

tiaj

I have grouped together a bunch of features (which are all related to each other) in a part but when I copy the group (or select each feature individually) and then paste I still gave to place each one, one at a time. They are all reference off each other so I thought grouping and giving the first created a ref would be sufficient for the others to come in all at once. I could almost recreate the features in the time this has taken.

I tried it via ass'y, create component, etc. but had trouble with that.

thanks

tj

If the group is something like a boss with a hole ribs and drafts then you could copy the surfaces and move the quilt, trim and solidify.

Actually, I did get it to work and was doing fine last night, but for some reason today I cannot do it. I was able to copy dif model, go to that window, copy the features and then somehow back in destination window I simply was able to paste it into the model and give it new constraints for adjusting. I cannot now figure out how I did it!?!
smiley5.gif

I have tried every other way to do this simply and inheritance does not work for this so it is one by one... Anyone know how I was able to do a simple copy and past from one model to another??

if you want the features to come over as if it were
independent then you have to do a edit-feature
operations-copy-from different model (most likely, unless
your new model is a save a copy of the source model).

If you features have a very consistent reference scheme
(you use the same references over and over, or you use
references created by the features you are copying over)
it makes like much easier.

If you dont care about copying the features over you
could do a copy geometry to get the data over by copying
over surfaces and solidifying.

Or you could create a udf from the original and place it
using a udf in the new part.

Creating simple/consistent/and concise references schemes
are key when doing a feature copy from model to another
or using a udf. Either way you need to define the
references that are equivalent in the new model relating
to the old one. -> except in the case where your new
model is a save a copy, then you might get by choosing