Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Helix pattern

jeppebj

Hi
I'm struggling with making a helix pattern.

1. Helical sweep to get the curve
2. Pattern of point on curve
3. Point reference pattern of extruded cylinder

My problem is that the patterned parts use the same DTM - I wanted them all to be placed perpendicular to the surface in each point. How do I manage this?

View attachment 5148
View attachment 5149

Make a plane relative to the curve for the first feature of the pattern, then this plane will pattern as part of the feature.

I start in PNT1 (which is patterned along the helix) and make my feature in a plane relative to the curve+the point, but I'm not allowed to pattern the feature due to regeneration failure: "CANNOT RECREATE INTERNAL DATUM"

Check to see if you have any Horizontal or Vertical constraints in your feature/sketch.

Sometimes you get better results when putting your datums/features in groups and then pattern the group.

What you can also do is copy the Intersect Curve (helix) and then paste it as an approximate copy. This will make one continuous curve rather than breaking it up into smaller sections.

Here is a QnD Video (20 MB) of what I am talking about.

Right click and "Save Target As..." to save the above link to your local computer.

**EDIT**
Here's another QnD Video (25 MB) of the same thing with points on a sphere I previoulsy posted.

Edited by: jsantangelo

Thank you, it was a very nice video instruction!

I managed to get a pattern of the new DTM-system along the helix.
However, sketching on the new DTM-system of PNT0 and keep all refs inside this system, the reference pattern of the new feature stays in the same plane instead of following the helix. How come?

I use DTM2 as sketching plane and PNT0 as sketching reference.

View attachment 5151

jeppebj said:
Thank you, it was a very nice video instruction!

I managed to get a pattern of the new DTM-system along the helix.

However, sketching on the new DTM-system of PNT0 and keep all refs inside this system, the reference pattern of the new feature stays in the same plane instead of following the helix. How come?

I use DTM2 as sketching plane and PNT0 as sketching reference.

View attachment 5157

Can you upload the file so that others can look at it to see what may be causing the issue? Please indicate what versin of Pro/e you are using too please.

Okay, now I got it!
Thank you very much - I got my part and more important a better understanding of ProE!

You were all a great help!

Hey jsantangelo,

I followed your video on points on a sphere for practice and that all worked out, thanks for that post!

I was just wondering now, how do I create tangent planes to the sphere that can also be patterned? When I try to create a datum plane, I can select the patterned datum point or axis, but I can't then reference the sphere surface with it.

The most I've been able to do is create a plane with the point and normal to the axis, but when that gets patterned, all the subsequent planes are parallel to the original.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Mark
Using WF5 M070

Markardi said:
I was just wondering now, how do I create tangent planes to the sphere that can also be patterned? When I try to create a datum plane, I can select the patterned datum point or axis, but I can't then reference the sphere surface with it.

The most I've been able to do is create a plane with the point and normal to the axis, but when that gets patterned, all the subsequent planes are parallel to the original.

For the sphere, do the same thing I do in the Cylinder Helix QnD video, ref_pattern_helix.swf. Around the 4:06 mark I create a datum plane that is
tangent to the surface. By making the datum planes normal to the Axis
and thru the Datum Point (which are located on the surface of the
cylinder)
then by extension, they are tangent to the surface of the cylinder. This same concept can be applied to a sphere or any other surface shape.

Got it!!

I had to ungroup the axis pattern and regroup it with the planes like in the helix demonstration.

Thanks again for the posts.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back